TRADITIONAL It's SUPER ELLIOT!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4links3.jpg

Cheers - I moved the axle further forward in the dropouts and dropped 4 links - and reset the adjuster to middle.

It's around +2 now - if I go any tighter it fouls the derailer body on the up stroke. The front is 4 teeth smaller than original too.

Shifting is better - I also think the issue with getting third sometimes is the lack of cable stops. It's a big jump and needs some pullin'.

Shakedown to follow.

View attachment 268682

View attachment 268683

Good that @Chad T mentioned about shorter chain. Years ago when I got a Cyclo derailleur, I did research. Don't remember who, maybe Sheldon Brown wrote about keeping the chain as short as possible. Just enough to get over top of low gear. The Cyclo was designed to hang off the hub axle, keeping it much closer to the cog set.

Need to keep the center coil spring well lubed. That should make the cable pull easier. I really like you are using that antique derailleur on your build!

Good that @Chad T mentioned about shorter chain. Years ago when I got a Cyclo derailleur, I did research. Don't remember who, maybe Sheldon Brown wrote about keeping the chain as short as possible. Just enough to get over top of low gear. The Cyclo was designed to hang off the hub axle, keeping it much closer to the cog set.

Need to keep the center coil spring well lubed. That should make the cable pull easier. I really like you are using that antique derailleur on your build!
Never heard of the Cyclo derailleur before. Pretty cool. Was really scratching my head when I zoomed in on those pics. Does look like they’re meant to be mounted farther forward.

1717829908883.png

. Does look like they’re meant to be mounted farther forward.

I think it's because ... trike. Agree - actually why I had the chain a bit looser before - but it shifts better tighter. I've done a few searches to find images of one like mine without luck.
All I had to go off is what it was like when I got it. But there was no tension at all and one of the pulleys didn't engage - but it was seized with corrosion.

I think it's because ... trike. Agree - actually why I had the chain a bit looser before - but it shifts better tighter. I've done a few searches to find images of one like mine without luck.
All I had to go off is what it was like when I got it. But there was no tension at all and one of the pulleys didn't engage - but it was seized with corrosion.

I think if you could swing that arm forward you’d have it in a good spot.

On another note. I mentioned the original chain guard but was thinking of a different thread.

1717834351661.png

Found this cool Super Elliott ad

1717847939569.png

Back