I've got the no work blues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was supposed to start back to work today after an 8 month hiatus due to my vertigo. My shop is so slow that they are painting and cleaning right now, no jobs coming in at all this week :cry: Anyone else on "unplanned vacation" right now?

yeah unfortunately i just started one on thursday........our shop started slowing and they just sold to a chain out of sact.(im hoping that theyll keep us all but not really counting on it).....oh well at least christmas and my sons birthday were taken care of before all that....
i guess maybe thisll get me motivated to do some side work now :x

Got the same here. I own a construction company and alot of my clients work for the big 3. The trickle down effect really is begining to hit hard. Its gonna take some time to fix it. I just hope its not to late. Dont wanna wind up like Mad Max. lol

I am in the same boat. I have enough work to keep me busy for a couple of more weeks, and then I will be on unemployment. The one positive is that I will have lots of time to ski and build bikes :mrgreen:

I work at Waterloo, in the tool and die shop. We build toolboxes. We're down to basically one shift, and four days a week, with a layoff coming.. I don't think the long term is very bright. We also have Hays wheels here in town, and they are down to three days a week, with over two hundred on layoff. Lots of little places have closed up too.

Unemployed checking in, had been with my company eight years, (auto industry) . I worked overnight shift for five years in the paint shop doing paint and metal finishing. One ngiht the boss walks in and says to everybody " Finish up and close up the shop, we are shutting down production for the night, after that some people had group meetings and some were individual meetings. I got the latter. I sat down with the guy that had given me my first interview, and he gave me my last. :cry: But I got a sweeeeeeeeeet severance package, and they gave me an awesome letter of reccomendation. I got my toolbox and my tools and walked out of that place for the last time. Between that night and the nest day out of the thrity people that got the axe, ten were my best friends. Dudes I hung out with on a daily basis. That was the worst part, but it was cool at 7 a/m that day we all went to a local bar that opens early and toasted to a new life! Cheers, and I hope everybody makes it out ok! :D

Tonight was my last night at Waterloo. I just made one year. I was in tool & die. 16 where laid off from maintenance\tool & die, that department has never been touch by a lay off before. 90 more are to go from the production floor next week.

This sucks. The auto industry NEEDS to bounce back soon. I work for one of the Big 3, and at our headquarters building head count has dropped by 10,000 employees in just one year. Detroit is in rough shape, like many other places right now. Keep your heads up, try not to get bummed out, get out of the house for something everyday even if its just to surf the job listings at the local coffee shop. You never know when you'll meet somebody looking for a person with your skills. Oh yeah, and don't answer any ads that say "opportunity in Detroit"..... its a lie.

Yes ....

Had hoped to maby get some Leather Seat deals going here to make a little extra cash but Mr Firewalker seems to have that market .

Currently have a ful load of fuel BUT Now switching to lean burn setting to conserve.

Stephen / Wingman ..... OUT

I feel for you guys. I have the "wife got canned blues" She's the main bread winner so we're hurting. luckily my job is going gangbusters. We've made major cutbacks. We would prolly be ok if we didn't buy my 2008 Yukon. hindsight is 20/20 though.

I read this good article that bodes well for GM at least. have a look. It's not all bad news. remember the media has to sell them selves and bad news sells. You have to dig for the good. In any economy :wink:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/opini ... ef=opinion

I just got laid off Friday after 7 years with my company. I was in the marine fabrication business and no one is buying boats right now...

Time to look for something else. Good luck everyone!

I picked up a letter of reference from my now former employer today. I was told another 160 will be gone Friday.

Just got word from a buddy of mine that still works at my former place, lay offs are not over, the second wave is due any time. My bud asked what his schedule would be like for march and his manager just laughed at him, gave him a serious look and walked away. Geesh.

I run a mail order parts company for 1948-79 Ford truck parts. I talk to folks all over the country and it seems the only businesses that are booming are Hospitals and Funeral homes. But now with so many layoffs and people with no health insurance, doctors and Hospitals will see the trickle effect soon.
The BRIGHT side: God's still in control and it will all work out to his devine plan. Keep praying.

I Know what you guys are going through. My company is in the wholesale automotive parts business and we got hit hard last year as we primarily sell to Ford and GM new car dealers. The company started cutting back the number of employee's and I was forced to change jobs within the company and move to a satelite warehouse they own closer to home which fortunately cuts out an hour and a half of drive time going back and forth to work each day. And I finally got interenet service hooked up at home. Everybody hang in there!!! Thanks!!!

I feel for everyone. I was laid off for 4 months at the metal fab shop I worked at as a painter but just got hired on at a different bigger shop that has work scedueled till 2012.doing the same thing.

rgallen said:
the only businesses that are booming are Hospitals and Funeral homes. But now with so many layoffs and people with no health insurance, doctors and Hospitals will see the trickle effect soon.

...I work at a hospital, and we're feeling it already. Hours cut, hiring freeze, no raises...I feel for everyone...

Back