J.C. Higgins Murray Flightliner *Updated

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally had some time to take a closer look at this today.. all the rear wheel needed was a little tightening of the hub and it rides great now... just rode it to NAPA for some WD40.. the ride back home was MUCH quieter :lol:

also found out that pretty much every bolt just backs off with very little force.. making tear down a little bit less of a headache for cleanup.

small start
progr.jpg

It may be rusty all over, but it looks to me like it is totally complete except for the rear tail light lense. The light unit itself is still up under the rear carrier, just the red lense fell off. A restoration might be a little tough but to just clean it up and ride/customize you are all set. Have Fun! Robert

Just a note to all you Flightliner/Spaceliner fans...I have a NOS taillight lens for these bikes.The light itself is made by Delta and usually are pretty easy to restore.My pal Rich has used my original lens and has made a mold from it and he is now currently experimenting with various resins with mixed results, but will keep you posted.I'll try to get some pics up later as they are one of the coolest taillights you'll see.
Stay tuned...Pappy 8)

Most definitely am interested in a new taillight cover... let me know when he has some available if you could

many thanks again all for the help and ID

first bike with a tank so this thing feels like driving a tank... no pun intended :D

done.. for now.. need fine sand it and polish it up maybe...

like the survivor look of it tho

also chain just snapped going up the hill next to my house :x
ba.jpg

found a sears flightliner in need of some tlc. love it any guess at fair price. air in tires horn works needs polish and some touch up.

also for previous post, i am knew to this game and the bike would be my first project. I sadly have to admit to riding a modern bike currently.

the best way I have found to get a bike value estimate is to go to ebay and look at bikes that sold, and see what they went for..
plus you have to take in your location, a bike I would sell here in central Ohio would go for allot more in bigger cities, like say Boston or NY

also some more updated shots of how it sits now.. except I threw an old mirror I had on it.. so I will post a pic of that someday here too lol

JCHigginsFlightliner03_zps6cc0611e.jpg

JCHigginsFlightliner01_zpsb3e35203.jpg

still have all the original parts to put it back to "factory"

hey I. W. love yours and the high rise bars. mine has the cruiser bars and is a sears, not badged a higgens. mine is chrome frame and all other but rack and tank, a 1961? just broke it down today. gotta start shineing on it. will figure how to post pics. did they come with high rise bars?

No I put these bars on here.. as well as flip-flopped the front fork to give it a bit of the "stretched" look

that's the great thing about your bike.. it's yours.. make it what you want it :D

WOW,, here it is guys. Almost a year later and someone ( ME ) has stumbled across your Flightliner post. I found this old bike that belonged to my father when he was in high school. 1951 or so. At least that's what he told me. Says grandma ordered it from a catalog and it arrived via a train at the Osgood, Indiana rail road depot fully assembled. I just found this bike a couple weeks ago in his homestead barn in which is falling down. I asked him if I could have it and he said yes. So,, today the Mrs and I drove over and picked it up. So,, in just a few hours of researching on the web. I've come up with this. It must be a J.C. Higgins sold by Sears. I've tried to make out the #'s on the bottom of the bottom bracket. But,, not much luck yet. Will try again tomorrow. Here is a pic of the bike as I found it in the barn. It's chain guard reads Flight Liner also.
I'm wanting to try and restore it to as near as possible to it's original state. OPEN to suggestions as well !!! ( Like where to find a tank, the springer pieces for the front fork etc. etc. )
Thanks for reading this lengthy post and putting up with a noob and all his stupid questions down the road.
IMG_0652.JPG

Cool,, I'm interested. Do you have any pics you can send ? My dad said this bike didn't have the light in the tanks as some came with headlights I guess. But,, at this point, I'm not going to be too picky. :) My dad is now 83 and in decent health. I'd love to get this thing fixed back up as soon as possible so I can show it to him and get some photos of with him next to it. :)
The frame is rusted up pretty bad. I did find some red paint on it though. But,, like I said,, I'm not going to be overly picky on the tank color or light or no light. :)

Back