Japan Built Muscle Bike Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Pulled this one from Craig's last night, evidently it has been bouncing around the area being flipped from one to another. Appears it resurfaced in a thrift store in a rusty state, went the online auction direction and later sold to the guy I bought it from. He cleaned it up a bit, great job on the rims then decided to put it back up for sale. I saw it for the first time last night and pounced on it. Went to see it almost right away, negotiated a price with the guy and brought it home. Now, It will go into my Muscle Bike Collection and stop bouncing around.

What the heck is it, you ask? It's a Savoy 5 speed stick shift bike, very similar to a Stingray 5 Speed Stick Bike. Savoy bikes were built in many places, depending on model. They were built in Germany, Holland, Taiwan, and Japan where this one was made. In the U.S. they were many times sold under the Royce Union name. I have had one of these before a girls Violet single speed about a year and a half ago. I think you almost need to have one of these to really appreciate them, they are a little different but well made and thought out. This one was originally sold at a well known local bike shop in the early 70's. Everything appears to be original from the tires to the handlebars. It rides on Japan tires on Araya rims, has a 333 Shimano 5 speed shifter, and a Lark derailer, with Shimano stamped guard. Paint is a bit worn especially near the hard to tighten up Chainguard. The bike has well made 3 PC cranks, and handlebar neck, similar to Schwinn in design. The seatpost clamp is built into the frame and the area the Sissy bar mounts to behind the rear wheel is flaired out to hold the bar easily and is designed to hold the nut on the inside from turning so you can tighten it down from the outside of the frame. Everything works and it's rideable, the seller rode it to the coffee shop last night to meet with me. About the same weight as a similar Stingray. Just need to remember your metric tools when working on it.

ddefdf126cfe7e5b0fcfcca05cd745cd.jpg

0555d9d428465257febb6d2cb9382a92.jpg

4a3a9ba31f6cfe23c20378f9eb4f2c15.jpg

5fed9413c8d73560afa2aeefafab3e08.jpg

c47a7bc9dbb117bda2940a9535a71f68.jpg

Latest posts

Back