JC HIggins serials

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where to find Higgins ser#'s? or how to date rear hub? I came across a lightweight i want to use for a build it has a totally enclosed type chain guard the sprocket has the letters JC Higgins in it a 2 speed thumbshifter with neutral but the hub says 3 speed and they are not dated like sturmeys, can anyone help

N means normal gear. I have 2 of those hubs, they are nearly identical to the SA 3 speeds.

okay thanx i was curious why it still seemed engaged in the N position, any idea of the years that had the enclosed type of chainguard?
Wildcat said:
N means normal gear. I have 2 of those hubs, they are nearly identical to the SA 3 speeds.

ser#s for most any bike are located in one of 3 places. on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell, on the left rear dropout or on the side of the head tube. without a pict of your bike, i can only speculate what year it is, but i will tell you that before WW2, they were called elgins and after WW2 untill 63' or 64', jc higgins. after 64', sears dropped the jc higgins name plate and used their own name, sears. most jchs were built by either murray with some huffies. european jchs with 3pc cranks and chainrings sspelling out the jc higgins were promarily austrian made, perhaps by steyr or another maker. odds are, late 50's to 64', but without a pict, thats as close as i can get. as for decoding eh ser#, would need to know if its murray, huffy or other built. good luck!

p.s. i actually got one of those austrian built jchs myself. a black 3speed with white pinstriping and the same chainring you got, sans chainguard.

On the hub, look right past the word "speed" there may be a 2 digit number. That would be the year. This is my Austrian made Sears, but your hub should be about the same, only say JC Higgins instead of Sears. This hub is a 63.

iwlunm.jpg

Back