JOCKEY SHIFTER heeeelp..please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im starting a build here shortly and before anything I want to figure out a Jockey Shifter for this. I have a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub..so from there..WHAT SHOULD I LOOK for in a jockey shifter?? this is my first time messing with a shifter so im a little lost.

HEEEELP PLEASE???

looka round , there are several ways to do it!

easiest is gonna be modding a grip shifter to take a stick, solid linkage is cool too if you can get the indexing down..

With a bit of strolling around on this forum,you're definitly gonna find enough info on this subject.
But to give you a start,this is what I did.
I mounted the gripshift (Shimano 3-speed) on a piece of solid 22,2 mm rod,which was threaded on both ends. That way it was mounted on the frame (you can use a clamp for that purpose).
Then I used a clamp with a welded-on nut (which is for the shifter-stick) and put it right around the rubber gripshift.
I admit that it it not the king of beauty,but it's working great for the past two years now.
If you want more info,just give shout. Maybe I could make some pics.
Good luck on your quest. :mrgreen:

Houndog said:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=61622&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Here is what I did....

I guess what i am unsure about is..I have a Sturmey archer 3 speed hub..can i use a nexus 3 speed shifter with it??/ As i said..im very new to doing anything other than coaster brake...so i have no idea what i am doing with this.

So if it is compatible i can get a grip shifter and modify it that way right??

Just try and find out. That's what I did with my SRAM 3-speed hub and my Shimano 3-speed gripshift. And it works great.
Good chance, your combo works fine too.

wimpy said:
Just try and find out. That's what I did with my SRAM 3-speed hub and my Shimano 3-speed gripshift. And it works great.
Good chance, your combo works fine too.

I will see what i can do. I would have thought it would be easiir to get some direction on this..i cant believe no one has done this before...or maybe it's just no one is responding. Thanks to all that have given me help.

Latest posts

Back