TRADITIONAL Jumpy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @OddJob and @BDC !

I didn’t take the shifter apart, but it looks to me like this end is soldered or crimped as well:
IMG_9397.jpeg

IMG_9398.jpeg

The fixed end on the cable on the shifter needs to stay. Do you have a photo of the hub end / derailleur end of how the cable attacbes?

I can say that is the strangest cable / internal hub connection I've ever seen.

So does the cable follow the path of my red line on here? And then lock in to the slot and hole ? It's weird because that slot and hole looks like it's shaped for a 'button' type of end, like you would find on an mtb brake cable at the lever.

Screenshot_20240714-154051_kindlephoto-173252355.png

Screenshot_20240714-154805_kindlephoto-173685934.png

I'm so confused!

I can say that is the strangest cable / internal hub connection I've ever seen.

So does the cable follow the path of my red line on here? And then lock in to the slot and hole ? It's weird because that slot and hole looks like it's shaped for a 'button' type of end, like you would find on an mtb brake cable at the lever.

View attachment 273067

View attachment 273066

I'm so confused!
Thanks OJ: It’s actually way simple.

All I do to finish assembly is push the cable and threaded sleeve straight over the threaded post coming out of the mechanism.

I’ll post a pic in a few.

Okay, I guess I get that now. But this really throws me off!

View attachment 273075
When the cable pulls the arm, it pivots on that pin below your circle. The inner piece then pushes a rod in the center of the axle. The part you circled is pretty much just a window to see the movement. Not sure there's a reason for the slot.

When the cable pulls the arm, it pivots on that pin below your circle. The inner piece then pushes a rod in the center of the axle. The part you circled is pretty much just a window to see the movement. Not sure there's a reason for the slot.
On the Sturmey hubs the chain and rod are called the indicator. If you line the edge of the rod with the end of the axle, you have second gear. Naturally you need the correct indicator for the axle you are using.

I don't know the Shimano S3, but I sure that window aids in adjusting the cable.

:shake: Total weirdness. I've had brake cables with stops both ends - Shimano and SRAM - but the idea is you cut the one off you don't need.
Well, I want to cut one end off, slide on a new cable housing, then put an end back on…. Not sure where to get then end piece or how to reattach the one I have.

I’m just gonna leave good enough alone. I’m afraid I won’t be able to get it right if I snip one end.

Back