June 7th- Cruiser Ride, New London, CT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK Rat Rodders, You are all invited to this one. Bring your best and show it off!

nlratrodride080312.jpg

The New London Connecticut Custom Bike Club is organizing our fat tires, fat fenders, chrome and whitewalls ride for June! Bring your big cruisers, Rat Rods, balloon tires, that Phantom you're restoring, the Panther or Wasp or Murray Flightliner, your Worksman, Typhoon, Dyno Chopper, your biggest and best bike!

nlratrodride080302.jpg

We will meet at the Bean & Leaf Coffee Shop, 13 Washington St., New London, CT 06320 at 2:00PM on Sunday June 7th.

ride0628082.jpg

There is a small parking lot at the shop, and some on-street parking nearby. If you would like to join us at my house, and ride the 3 blocks to the Bean & Leaf, email me for directions. [email protected]

ride0628087.jpg

Check the weather before the ride. In the event of rain, we may decide to get a drink at Hanafins Pub or to do some bike building and parts trading.

ride06280835.jpg

Contact me at (860) 912 6882 if there are any questions about the ride. Info and directions are posted here, along with details of upcoming rides:

http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html

See you all there!
--Rob (NLCTVWguy)

The Spring Cruiser Ride is on for this weekend! Guys, if you did NOT receive my email, please email me, to make sure your current address is on my mailing list! Also email me if you have any questions about directions or events in New London, CT. [email protected]

All cycling enthusiasts are invited to join the New London Custom Bike Club on our Cruiser Ride, this Sunday, June 7th.

We will meet at the Bean & Leaf coffee shop on Washington St. at 2:00 PM. Ride down or drive in and meet us there. Plan to be on the road by 2:30PM.

See our web site for more info: http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html

The theme of this ride is fat-tired, chrome-fendered, whitewall-tired full-size cruiser bikes. They're big, beautiful, heavy, comfortable bikes that won't be rushed along. All riders and all types of vintage and custom bikes are always welcome to join us on our rides.

We will ride from Bean & Leaf to the Conn College Arboretum on Williams St. Plan to bring a lock to secure your bike as it may be out of your sight when we enter the Arboretum.

Looking forward to a nice late spring day in a beautiful place- Join us!

Contact Rob for more info at [email protected] or call (860) 912 6882.

I'll be there I may need to borrow a fat tire cruiser, either that or I'm throwing white walls on my 82 trek or riding my fixed gear BTW how far are we riding?

cody-james said:
I'll be there I may need to borrow a fat tire cruiser, either that or I'm throwing white walls on my 82 trek or riding my fixed gear BTW how far are we riding?

Downtown to Connecticut College is only about 2.5 miles round trip. We might go a little farther, we'll see how everyone like the ride. There's really only one hill to go up, not too bad of a ride.

--

The weather has been lousy here all week, at least for riding or getting outdoor projects done, but here's what the weather service has to say for Sunday:

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 51. West wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Northwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming southwest.
Sunday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Should be a beautiful day, and folks are invited over after to see the Stingray collection, see the latest projects, talk bikes and trade parts.

See you guys on Sunday!

--Rob

I threw a set of big ol' whitewalls on my '56 American today. See you tomorrow.

ej599 said:
I threw a set of big ol' whitewalls on my '56 American today. See you tomorrow.

Cool I may ride our Phantom, even though it's not done yet. We were in the middle of painting the chainguard when real life interfered... dontcha hate that?

Looks like it's going to be a perfect day tomorrow, once this fog burns off... New London is aptly named! We probably get as much fog as Old London!

--Rob

I may show up a bit late if i can make it I am have to head back to mass for 11 so I'll be cutting it close. I'll give you a call to let you know

Sunday was as promised, a perfect day for a ride. The weather cooperated 100% and a nice group of cyclists showed up. We had a wide variety of bikes, from 50s to nearly-new.

We quickly filled up the bike rack at the Bean and Leaf coffee shop:

cruiseride06093.jpg

Soon after, Justin joined us with his 52 (53?) Black Phantom. It had that new paint smell! :)

cruiseride06095.jpg

The ride got underway as planned after a quick rendezvous with caffeinated beverages...

cruiseride06098.jpg

The ride was short, on purpose, because I knew there would be this one hill... I guess I didn't realize just how big a hill that is to ride up, even though I drive it every day! We were glad to get to the green oasis of Connecticut College.

cruiseride060911.jpg

We had a great walk through the park, enjoyed shade, the pond, flowers, and bird watching. The stonework here seems to belong as much as the 100 yr old trees.

cruiseride060919.jpg

We did not see Bryan's Bike. But now we know where to look for it.

cruiseride060923.jpg

The ride back to town was so nice... all downhill! I don't think a Phantom ever went that fast!
After the ride, some folks went their separate ways, but a group of us had a nice dinner and a brew at a brand new stone-oven pizza restaurant called 2 Wives. Check them out if you're in New London- the menu is simple but they do it right and everything is excellent.

For the folks who missed it, hope to see you next time! It was a great time on a great day!

--Rob

^^ sorry I couldn't make it and bring Joey with me Rob. I was "stuck" in the Berkshires riding all weekend. Hope to make the next one.

If I had gone...........It would've RAINED. So you can thank me for the nice sunny day. So your NEXT ride, it may cost you $, for me to stay home.

KOTA said:
If I had gone...........It would've RAINED. So you can thank me for the nice sunny day. So your NEXT ride, it may cost you $, for me to stay home.

Haha I'll make you a deal, if it looks like it 's going to be too hot, I'll invite you down! The rain will cool us off then.

All I know is I gotta get in better shape, or else get a 20t sprocket for that 3-speed. That one big hill sucked the life out of me! The guys on the single speed beasts just pulled away from me!

cruiseride060910.jpg

See you at one of our upcoming rides.

--Rob

That was a 'good' hill. It's easier to keep that '56 rolling than it is to start on a hill. I think a higher toothed sprocket would be good in your town. You may need a longer chain. The trip back down that hill was worth it.

Back