Junk Bros. Build - AMFer - DONE!!! July 27, 2014

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work! Have you ever had one bend the piece above the stub? Does not look very thick there, and is no longer joined to the lower piece...

Luke.
Nope (one of the advantages of weighing 125lbs!) That plate is actually a piece of 1/8" steel I welded in (the original plate was really thin) and much stronger than it looks. I've done everything I can think of to try to break the stub off but it's solid as a rock.

Rg

Nope (one of the advantages of weighing 125lbs!) That plate is actually 1/8" steel and much stronger than it looks. I've done everything I can think of to try to break the stub off but it's solid as a rock.

Rg
Awesome!

Luke.

Luke, I just realized you are talking about the brake lever. It is kinda thin on the top side, I'll keep an eye on it and if I see any bending I'll reinforce it.

Thanks for pointing that out, Rg
Ah, I guess you thought I was talking about the seat post stub? Sorry, I guess we posted close together, the post with the primer shots was not there when I posted... Yep, I was meaning the brake strap, you would be awful if it bent and spun and ruined a nice paint job...

Luke.

This bike is way way rad

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Praise from Karfer67? It's like Jimmy Page saying he likes your guitar! Thanks, I appreciate it, Rg

Last edited:
I REALLY like the painted letters on the chainring!!
Can't wait to see your ratty Diver Down tank uncovered again too.

I REALLY like the painted letters on the chainring!!
Can't wait to see your ratty Diver Down tank uncovered again too.
Yeah, thats the first thing that popped into my head once I found it under all the red house paint, I had to try to save it.

Rg

I didn't feel like sanding bondo when I finally got home, so I disassembled the pedals and cleaned them up. Here's a shot of one done and the other waiting to be done. They both came out pretty good.

Good luck, Rg

DSC00590_zps35024798.jpg

How do you disassemble pedals like that? Are there nuts on the inside that can't be seen in the picture?
No, these are the kind that have a tab that sticks through the back plate. All I do is straighten the tab with a pair of pliers and the back plate will come off (watch out for all the ball bearings!) To reassemble I snap the back plate back on and bend the tabs back in place.

I shoulda took pictures...

Rg

My eye kept getting drawn back to the kick-stand. I didn't like how it looked so I re-welded in the mounting plate so it would flow better with the rest of the frame. I was tempted to leave it but it would have bothered me every time I look at it.

Rg

Before
DSC00567_zps5b9a9ac4.jpg

After
DSC00592_zps2a203db9.jpg

Before
DSC00568_zpsaf26a310.jpg

After
DSC00591_zps85ac1695.jpg

And decided to use one of my older design badges. This one is copper instead of brass and after painting it and wet-sanding down the raised areas I placed it in a vinegar and copper sulfate vapor bath, which will help age it quickly. I'll check the progress in the morning but this is after about an hour. If I don't like the aged look I will polish it out.

All for now, Rg

DSC00594_zps794fdf64.jpg

Lookin cool,lovin the badge....
Like the way you hide the brake...When I use my bikes they all ask me 'How do you stop?' .They don't know about step-back brakes...o_O

Back