junk rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recently got my hands on one of those cheap chinese cruiser's and the rims are bent all overthe place!!! Can I get, or does anyone make better single speed rims for these bikes? These rims are some kind of alloy, and I can't adjust the spokes to take the wobble out. Can these rims be replaced? or do I need to drag out the turd polish??

I have found that most of these types of bikes use the same aluminum rim and that a majority of them come out of the box bent. Most of the time they can be trued. If you check the spokes I am sure you are going to find they are not consistent in tension. There are good rims available on the net that are very reasonable in price. Your LBS could have some older rims still in the stock room too. I was at mine today getting some spokes cut and a customer came in needing to replace an older rim. They didn't have the exact replacement, but because it was compatible and older they gave the customer 30% off because it was just taking up space and they wanted to get rid of it. If you are looking to replace them, try and true them first. It's great skill to have. Best wishes.

If it has a significant hop, a smack on the ground can help.
First you should try to get some consistent tension in the spokes, maybe a little loose beforehand, and then tighten it up afterwards.

Back