Just A little Old 1938 Shelby Flying Cloud

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Autocycles, Bluebirds, and Twin-Flexes are OK I guess... but I kind of like them like this. :) Everything is original but the tires, grips, and pedals. The bike is a lower-end "unequipped" model and likely did not come factory delivered with a chaingaurd. It came to me with a period correct generic chrome plated Wald chaingaurd, that I ditched in a hurry. I found this period correct aluminum one on Ebay. I put about 30 miles on in the first 3 days. It rides very smooth, quiet, and relaxed. :D

Pedals are are 50's vintage Schwinn because one of the original Torrington 8's is bent.

Grips are new reproductions in the correct style.

Original Lobdell long-spring seat. Shelby used a lot of Lobdell seats

Original rims, spokes and nipples, taken apart and cleaned up one by one. :shock:

This style chainwheel was common on Shelbys through about 1938

Nearly every prewar I see needs a new bottom bracket... this one got one.

Original 37 dated Morrow hub needed only the adjusting cone and bearing for same replaced.

Better shot of the original double butted spokes and 3/4in 2 flat nipples.

I have left the original drop stand off for now, as I ride a lot and don't really like them.

DIBS!!!
Oh wait... this isn't the for sale section :roll: :roll: :D

I'm in love with this bike!

Super cool!! I like the style of those bikes. I wish today's manufacturers would spend as much time and give attention to detail like those old had made bikes, but with modern parts.

Back