JUST BOUGHT AN OP CRUISER FROM WM

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new to the forums and i think my only other post was in the intro portion of this website. ive been eying everyones bikes for awhile and finally went and bought a bike to start my project.i bought a cruiser at walmart for 100.00. its the ocean pacific 26" cruiser.
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/1108918 ... eviews.htm

i was heavily into free ride mt biking and i broke my back in 2001 and havent been on a bike since ,well till yesterday. this time around took the cruiser route.

i want to make the bike look like a bobber type motorcycle. one of the 1st things i want to change are the bars. dont like em at all. i want something straighter.maybe a springer front end to. im just not sure of the size of the parts i need. any help would be greatly appreciated as its been awhile and this side of the bike thing is new to me.

im gonna get a pic of the bike soon also.

awesome site !

Handlebar clamps on 1-spd coaster bikes are the same 1" swage on a 7/8" bar that has been around for a century. Double clamp bars/stems are usually 7/8", not likely to be on your bike unless you put them there. The stem portion that enters the fork varies, you might have to change it for an aftermarket fork. The common Schwinn styled aftermarket springers usually have pretty thin steer tubes, so you need the best fit you can get to avoid deformation of the tube. The headset is probably 1", but it could be 1 1/8", easily measured. Here's a couple of online places to get an idea of what's easily available. http://www.bikeworldusa.com/index.php/c ... a556635d95
http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=108
http://rinienterprises.com/

heres a pic of the bike:

DSCF7235.jpg

The OP has a 1" headset, and uses a 22.2 MM stem. Any 1 inch fork should fit as long as you match up the steertube length and make sure the steer tube diameter matches the headset and the stem diameter. You might have to use a shim for some American/BMX stems, as they are 21.1 MM and will fit sloppy in a 22.2 MM fork. Likewise, a 22.2 stem won't fit in an older 21.1 fork.

Bigcam59 said:
The OP has a 1" headset, and uses a 22.2 MM stem. Any 1 inch fork should fit as long as you match up the steertube length and make sure the steer tube diameter matches the headset and the stem diameter. You might have to use a shim for some American/BMX stems, as they are 21.1 MM and will fit sloppy in a 22.2 MM fork. Likewise, a 22.2 stem won't fit in an older 21.1 fork.

thanks for the info, helps alot ! i take it the 22.2 mm is the diameter of the stem ?

twistedmentality said:
Bigcam59 said:

thanks for the info, helps alot ! i take it the 22.2 mm is the diameter of the stem ?
yup, it's usually stamped/etched into the stem and also on the bottom of the wedge sometimes.
Have fun and keep us posted :D

Bigcam59 said:
twistedmentality said:
Bigcam59 said:

yup, it's usually stamped/etched into the stem and also on the bottom of the wedge sometimes.
Have fun and keep us posted :D

thanks again and i will keep ya posted. gonna go look at some parts today at the local bike shop but i did flip the stock bars upside down.rides better, looks ?? eh idk. ill post a pic.

That's a great starting point, heck it's already the right color! With a headtube that length in a 1" diameter, it should be fairly easy to find forks, bars, stems....to fit it.
Here's a fairly inexpensive black 'Schwinn-style' springer fork.
http://www.bikebuyers.com/PART-SUSPENSION-CRUISER-BLACK.htm

Good luck, keep us posted!

Dr. T

i flipped the bars over to get a differnt look. looked different , rode better but i still didnt like it. i went out to the local shop and picked up a different set of bars (no pics yet).

after this do you guys think i should start a new thread and bike builds ? iam going to be slowly changing the bike.

any way heres a pic of the bike with the bars flipped.

DSCF7236.jpg

Here are some ideas from what I did with mine...
cut down flipped bars, brooks saddle:
op2a.jpg

old school mtb bars:
op5.jpg

Apehangers:
op3.jpg

And finally english racer bars, This is what I stuck with:
op6.jpg

It's like a new block of clay-you get to make what you want. Have fun! 8)

Bigcam59 said:
Here are some ideas from what I did with mine...
cut down flipped bars, brooks saddle:
op2a.jpg

old school mtb bars:
op5.jpg

Apehangers:
op3.jpg

And finally english racer bars, This is what I stuck with:
op6.jpg

It's like a new block of clay-you get to make what you want. Have fun! 8)

nice, i like the ape hangers but thats got to be uncomfortable to ride. specially up hills.

i have a question for ya, does your crank make a pop noise when you pedal hard and then stop ?

no, but i took the crank and rear hub apart and added a nice dollop of real grease to the bearings. Also check your chain tension. If its too tight the drivetrain will make all sorts of noise.

what a day with this bike ! went to the local shop and bought a springer front end and eye balled the length.(didnt have my fork out yet) got home took my fork out but got stuck with the bearing cap/race.well come to find out after a 1/2 hour trying to get it off that the steering tube threads were stripped ! i was ticked off but hey i had a springer front end to put on. then i noticed the steer tube was way to short on the springer. went to the bike shop and they had no other lengths and its only store credit.... no cash refunds.they said they dont come with longer steer tubes. i believe the one i had was about 7" long and the one on my bike was 8 1/8 " long.

i came home and decided to put the bike back together as best i could with the stripped steer tube and brought it back to walmart for an exchange seeing how i just got it...they did.so i have another op cruiser.

back to the springer.i found on bikedesigner that i can get longer steer tubes for them so i may just order one.they only offer a 7.5" and a 10" one. i can cut the 10 down to what i need.

Well I bought a springer fork but the steer tube was to shortso I orders a ten inch long one front tube from bikedesigners.

i started to work on the bike....argggh the springer fork i have does not seem like its going to fit. i started a thread in the how to section to see if i was doing something wrong but looks like im not.

so while i have the old fork off i decided to go and paint it flat black. i might sell the springer and look into a triple tree.im not sure yet.

ill get some pics up when i get the fork back on. if you want to check out the thread in the how to section its titled "springer fork help needed"

Back