Just Curious.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy parts for a specific build, or at least a general idea in mind? Or do you see a part and think "that's cool, someday I can do something with that"? Or do you see a single part and, in your minds eye, a bicycle appears around it? I saw a picture of a front wheel drum brake hub....and a bike
appeared....

It is a little bit of both. I have bought parts specifically for a bike, but while rummaging through some guy's garage to find it, a couple of little nuggets turn up. One trip for a set of handlebars yielded 3 bars, and ideas for other projects started forming. I have parts piling up for frames I haven't found yet, and plans for the bikes I have, but am waiting for the parts to turn up.

I put the frames I will eventually build into large tote bins and over time add parts I come across to the bin that will probably be used in the build. My most likely build off bike for next year is in such a condition now. It's also a great way to lose and forget about parts so I get surprises later when I pull the bin down.

All of the above, but mostly see cool parts and set them aside. I rarely have any entire build in my head. Just general ideas around different cool parts. I still don't really know what my current build will look like finished.

A mix of everything. The majority of the time I am collecting bikes for their parts value and stripping them down or switching out the things I want to keep with things I can let go then I flip that bike. Over time I compile a decent amount of parts and eventually I'll come across a frame and think "wow I've got just the (insert part) for that"

A mix of everything. The majority of the time I am collecting bikes for their parts value and stripping them down or switching out the things I want to keep with things I can let go then I flip that bike. Over time I compile a decent amount of parts and eventually I'll come across a frame and think "wow I've got just the (insert part) for that"

This is also how much of my stash has grown. Sometimes the "profit" is in dollars from the flip, other times it is in the parts that I get to keep for free when I break even on the sale of the flip. Many time it's both dollars and parts, so it's like getting paid to hoard collect cool parts.

1657460621487.png

a friend has a set of NOS 9-speed SIS Shimano Dura Ace downtube shifters he's willing to give me, so now I'm searching for the perfect frame to start building a road bike that I do not need. Preferably a Panasonic cuz I've wanted one since the early 90s.

Back