Just saying hi.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I've been lurking around for some time, figured it was about time to just make an account. I've been into building bikes since I was a kid, most of them certainly worth of the title "rat bike". I don't have pictures of most of the bikes I've built but here a few just for fun. This one was built with left over parts, total cost of $0. The tiny wheels make it pretty interesting to ride.
100_1682.jpg

boxbike1.jpg

Welcome! I envy you your tadpole cargo trike!!!! The leaf springs on the front wheels are a great idea; I'll definitely remember that when I start chopping my own bikes. How long did it take you to build?

It was originally a good humor ice cream trike in the 40's or 50's. The construction is absolutely nuts, the front axle is solid cast iron and weighs about as much as the rest of the bike. I bet the axle could hold 600lbs or so no problem. I've been slowly going over it getting it back into decent shape. Most of the work I've done so far has been building the box and servicing the mechanical stuff, working with wood isn't really one of my strong points. I plan to paint it gloss black with a little pinstripe work and all white tires.

SSG said:
It was originally a good humor ice cream trike in the 40's or 50's. The construction is absolutely nuts, the front axle is solid cast iron and weighs about as much as the rest of the bike. I bet the axle could hold 600lbs or so no problem. I've been slowly going over it getting it back into decent shape. Most of the work I've done so far has been building the box and servicing the mechanical stuff, working with wood isn't really one of my strong points. I plan to paint it gloss black with a little pinstripe work and all white tires.

Incredible... they built 'em to last back in the day! Wherever did you find such a monster? Looking forwards to seeing the completely rehab!

Back