SWB0 King Kaiju

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
222687-Kaiju---GuitarlCarl.jpg

I'll be starting with what I ended with last year. A pseudo racing bike built from an old NISHIKI 10 speed. It'll get the old chop n stretch treatment into something resembling a burrito because that's what I need - a derailleur driven skinny tire speedster that gets me low and riding comfy...

I'm an upright rider as well. I dont like riding rear up and head down either. Hehe
I actually like the recumbent/burrito position the best but laid back cruiser is good too. I'd like to get close to Harlequin's seating, 30" seat top to crank center. Anything in that area will be fine.
IMG_20220517_182133.jpg

When I want to make old guys smile I point out the "3 on the Tree"

Last edited:
ya made me smile with that column shifter! I drove them, Ya learnt to change gears back to first before you came to a stop at lights, try changing gears while stopped chucked the linkages out and i'd have to get out and open the bonnet , jiggle them a bit to free em up, jump back in and off we go! ha ha ha all at 16yrs old with long hair and moustach!

View attachment 255479
I'll be starting with what I ended with last year. A pseudo racing bike built from an old NISHIKI 10 speed. It'll get the old chop n stretch treatment into something resembling a burrito because that's what I need - a derailleur driven skinny tire speedster that gets me low and riding comfy...
Looking forward to seeing you transform that pseudo race bike into a burrito bike! Planning on making as wild of a paint scheme as what you've currently got on it?

Hey I did say I was in....
IMG_20240225_154119979.jpg
IMG_20240225_175906445.jpg

I also cut up the second build I ever did here, The Difference Engine. So now it's a Nishiki / Schwinn. No welding tonight just cutting and roughing it out. Beautiful day so it was time to get going on it...

I might have to raise it just a bit cuz you know I need to run the chain UNDER the back BB to use the derailleur...
Hmm maybe an idler gear next to the chainstay dimples? Then it could go next to the rear BB...

Or maybe steal this double rear derailleur idea.
way too convoluted and a full sprocket won't fit either
imagine the 1x2 on the floor below the frame is the ground....
idler gear brother - trust me

@twojs.bike 's idea for a gear at the rear BB with the cranks cut off isn't so outlandish. Although even getting a sprocket this small to fit with any clearance at all would mean raising the BB some and I'd like to keep the bottom of the frame at about 3 inches off the ground... This is from a build of mine in 2019 called Mean Streak and I cut the crank arms off and carved a monkey / skull face in the remaining nub. For the purpose of this build the chain would need to go under the chainstay.
5c500b2703034589ed4ad819d14ee4e6.jpg
big idler.jpg

I didn’t notice how low it was going to sit. I wonder if there is a creative way to thread in a small freewheel. I like where this is going.
Very similar to a derailleur, you can get a spring loaded hanger and gear. I have one and I'll probably be stealing the gear from it. That's a bit down the road. I still have to weld the frame all together before I start nailing down the chain line...

Micro bmx chainrings can go down to a small count of teeth, maybe worth looking into
The ring on the blue bike above is a small BMX ring. But I think I need more clearance there. the original BB will be the lowest point on the frame so I'm not sure I want the chain line any lower than that.

Latest posts

Back