Kansas City NewB.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone...AWESOME to be here.
My name is Gary and I was born and raised around Kansas City, Missouri. I am married with one daughter (age 20) and am employed as a Youth Leader (Youth Pastor) at First Christian Church of North Kansas City.
Until recently my only exposure to vintage/custom bikes was what I saw at the occasional car show....but then...A few months back my wife and I became part owners of a business in Parkville, MO. In the process of getting the business ready to open I noticed next door to us a shop where this guy would rent out old bikes for people to ride around town and through the local park. Within days I met John, the owner of "Back In The Day Bicycles" and a short time after that, while working on our shop one day, John offered to let me and one of the business partners take a couple of bikes out to ride. I chose an old red and white "Ross" that was in beautiful shape. Looked like a cross between a bike and a spaceship from an old sci-fi movie.
I think John sprinkles cat-nip on his bikes, or that old "Ross" has some kind of "Frosty the Snowman" kinda magic because within minutes I was hooked!
I started talking with John more and more and learning about bikes and swap meets and all that kinda stuff...And I've probably scared a few of his legitimate customers away with the way I lean on his counter, drooling over a sparkly green handlebar grip in the glass case. LOL!
Finally one day in early October after HOURS of haggling and arm twisting I finally got him to sell me a bike at a somewhat decent price. Just kidding here...The truth is, I was falling in love with a sixty's Hawthorne and he made me a REALLY sweet deal on it.
I have all kinds of ideas (they probably aren't very original but they're mine) and can't wait to start evolving the old Hawthorne into something unique and well...mine, and I'm looking forward to getting to meet and know other people that are into old bikes.
Peace, Always,
Gary

Welcome Gary, I'm also here in Kansas City, and know Jon and Marty. Good guys.
I and a couple of other guys put on the El Torreon swap meet every year, our next one will be on July 24, 2011. We also promote a Belton swap meet.
Jon and Marty puts a monthly pub ride together, I believe the next one is the 13th of this month and it's aways fun. You will meet people from all over KC there, come join the fun.

Back