Kansas Fried Cruiser... more stuff 7/09/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Lawrenceburg Flyer... my first build

FYI that light is a 1928/29 Model A Ford cowl light.

Hey Dude, this is so weird. When you said maybe some chainguard mods, I had this thought come into my to do exactly what you did. That's scary. They say great minds think alike. I say greater minds put those thoughts into reality. I guess you win.

Great work and kool bike. Lets see more.....

jre0123 said:
FYI that light is a 1928/29 Model A Ford cowl light.

Cool deal, thanks for the info... I wasnt sure what it was originally, since I found it in a junk pile.

rgallen said:
Hey Dude, this is so weird. When you said maybe some chainguard mods, I had this thought come into my to do exactly what you did. That's scary. They say great minds think alike. I say greater minds put those thoughts into reality. I guess you win.

Great work and kool bike. Lets see more.....

LOL, its all good! Give it a shot, it really wasnt that hard to pull off. Just some tubing scraps welded in at at angle.

Regarding the finish... has anyone ever seen a bike that was finished out with heat? I know it sounds strange, but when the steel is heated up to a certain point it will change colors, kinda like a deep blue color fading into yellow. Well thats what Im planning. Ill post up a few pics later to show what Ive done so far to maybe explain it better.

Ive been reading the posts about using salt and vinegar to speed up the rust process, which I may use. But I also wanted to ask if there was anyone that has tried other chemicals, acids, etc. on bare metal to get it to change colors... etc. I read something a while back about a electrolysis process that changes rust to a black oxide.

Ok so here are a couple of pics to explain what I was talking about above...

this is one of the forktubes...
forktube.jpg

and the chainring...
chainring.jpg

So lets hear your thoughts or opinions, good idea? bad idea?

I kinda like it, maybe not the prettiest thing, but at least its different!

O man.I'm glad this one is still alive.Can't wait.

Looks good like that. You gonna clear it?

Felt used to make a cruiser completely finished like that, called it raw or something but the frame looked really good like that. I think some other BMX companies used to do it also, think I have a set of DB bars like that somewhere around.

Yeah me too! lol
I havent laid the heat to the frame yet, kinda scared... I dont think im getting it hot enough to take the temper out... I hope!

Im also thinking of ditching the name, this thing has taken on a completely different personality than I originally imagined.

Maybe KFR for short. Kentucky Fried Rat? or something along those lines.

i dont know how i missed this one :? youve got some great ideas going on with this!
if you dont end up leaving it blued and do paint id do just the chain guard around the 'pipes' (just around the very tips and at the angle theyd shoot if they were real stubbys)blued......

Re: Kansas Fried Cruiser... my first build

Very cool. I did that to a motorcycle frame once...looks awesome. I think what you did with the chainguard is excellent. Can't wait to see this thing all done!!!

Back