Keep the guns away from him! *rant*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to let off a little steam, and ya'll are nice enough folks here that you might also be able to tell me what kind of action I should take with this situation.

I was up at my cabin this weekend (Friends house near my cabin) and we were out shooting cans with pellet guns. High pressure pellet guns, the kind that could go thru a rabbit, then a chipmunk, and still pop the tire of the atv... Anyway. I was talking to a couple friends and one decided to go in the shed. whatever. Next thing I know *pop* I feel something hit my left foot and then pain. :shock: The friend (Who lives at the house we were at) of mine who went into the shed decided it would be fun to try and shoot my steel toe boot at almost point blank range. Well... I don't know what the samhell he was thinking in the first place but WHO THINKS ITS FUNNY TO SHOOT A FRIEND WITH A HIGH PRESSURE PELLET GUN OR ANY GUN FOR THAT MATTER! :x Pulled off the boot and sock and its leaking blood worse than any cut I've ever gotten. Couldn't find the pellet, all I know is it was VERY painfull and bleeding. Luckily I always have a first aid kit in the car and I was lucky to have a friend along who went thru airforce basic training and has first aid knowledge. Got bandaged up could walk so I thought it was just a light puncture or something and went back to the cabin.

Next day we packed up and left for home. I drove all the way back no problem just had trouble. As soon as I got home I went to the ER and had a fun 5 hours there. 3 xrays later show me how much fun was actually there. The pellet was still in second toe (next to the big one) and it had gone deep into the bone and actually blew out the bone on the other side. Also the bone is now broken and its jamming the joint. Then along with the nerve damage and torn artery in that toe its all peachy. I just scheduled for surgery today and its I am going in Wednesday. Probably going to miss 2 weeks of work in total (Hopefully less) and also going to have a stack of bills that hopefully insurance will cover most. I work all day up on my feet in the factory so its going to be very fun going back to work.

Rant over...
Now this is where I need guidance. What should I do legally?
Sue the friend who shot me? Small claims court? Let insurance do its thing and get hold of them?
I don't plan on being his friend much more after this act of stupidity but I am not an a-hole and don't want to make it hard on his parents.

My wonderful 500mg dose of Vicodin is kicking in, so I'm going to end it here with this.
Take care everyone

I got shot in the shoulder with a high powered pellet gun back when i was about 15 or so, the pellet got stuck in the cartledge in my shoulder. The doctor was able to get it out that day but the healing was about a month before i could move my arm right. As far as the friend didnt see much of him after that, my parents insurance paid for the deal. Good luck man hope all is going better

If it was truely intentional I would think he should help pay your medical bills. If not then maybe you should see if he is OK with you shooting him in the foot "An eye for an eye" as it were.

2manybikes said:
If it was truely intentional I would think he should help pay your medical bills. If not then maybe you should see if he is OK with you shooting him in the foot "An eye for an eye" as it were.

x2

hope you make a full recovery man !!!

wow!! :shock:

well recourse is a little late unless you really want too but now you could be facing charges if you shoot him.

if you would have returned the favor when it happened it would have been easier to call foul "eye for an eye" and shoot right back.
now it will be premeditated SINCE you asked on the INTERNET.

i would guess the the bill will be more then small claims!!

kudos to you for being a better man!! he would have had at least one hole in him and wouldn't have remembered much of the rest of that day!!

good luck with this!!

What a beep. At the very least he should be held responsible for what ever insurance doesn't cover. There's no certainty how completely (or not) your recovery will be, best wishes and good luck.

what a fool ...u should smack him in the head with a tack hammer ...he should pay all ur bills ..and some for pain and suffering ...loss of work ....who needs friends like that ..i mean a 10 pump bb gun is a little differnt than a high powered pellet gun ...GEEZE

Revenge is best served up cold. :p Lucky it was your foot and not your eye. Usually, when you go to the hospital with a gunshot wound the cops are notified immediately and the rest is out of your hands. The shooter is lucky he's wasn't charged with a felony. Gary

Dude, so bad.
I hope you will recover soon.
As far as payback i would try to go the legal way, all the way.
You say you're not an a-hole and don't want to make it heavy on his parents,
but it should have been his parents in the first place that should have teached him that such actions are stupid.
If they would end up paying for him, they can arange with him how he pay's them back.

If someone did that to me i would not accept having to pay for anything related or comming from that issue.

worst case scenario, what happens if you don't have a full recovery and cannot go to work anymore who's paying for loss of income.
you should at least get legal proof that he did that to you, so that if needed you can take further(legal) action.

wish you all the best!!

CCR said:
2manybikes said:

x2

hope you make a full recovery man !!!

x3
That SUCKS! Hope you make out ok :wink:
Nick :mrgreen:

That is extremely idiotic for him to shoot you; nobody in the right mind would even think about doing that let alone follow through. I would try to have him pay all expenses. I wish you the best of luck!

Your insurance may not cover lost time at work...pay deductibles (meds, office visits etc.). He SHOULD offer to pay ANY loss you have....If he doesn't, take legal action. They must have insurance. Why should YOUR insurance company pay for the actions of someone else.....Get new friends!

Sue them. I had a so called friend shoot me in the toe and then the eye thinking hes funny. Now 10 years later my toes are crooked and jammed. The joints in them grew together so my toes dont flex anymore. It hurts like heXX everytime it rains. Sometimes i cant even walk due to the pain. Sue them for hospital bikks. If they are a good friend, leave the pain and suffering out. I thought my buddy was a good friend but then realized, a good friend wont shoot you with a high powered pellet gun in the face or foot. Dont wait to long to sue because there is a statue of limitations . I believe you have 2 years to sue.

With friends like that.......who needs em, everytime I have pulled the sympathy card ,I got burned,especially something like that, Is he sympathetic to your loss of wages ,long term effects on your foot, sometimes you have to do what you have to do, and he has to learn responsability....maybe the hard way.

Well surgery was Wednesday and it all went good. I never want to have to go back but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The doctor gave ,e the shot in Pre-op and 2.5 hours alter I wake up in post-op. "Would you like an ice chip?" No, I want a soda and a cheeseburger. I'm starving! :lol: But anyway, the whole legal part of it is going to be worked on as soon as my insurance tells me how much its going to be. Now the friend who shot me is an old friend of mine. I've known him for a while and honestly he never was that stupid t do something like this, but it happened. If it was a bad friend I'd have a new car by now but this is a good friend and he has already told me that he will pay the medical bills. As for me I am going to contact my insurance to see what can be done.

My followup apointment with the doctor is Monday, and if he says it looks good I'll be back to work. So I'll have to see how it all goes.

And thanks for the support everyone :D

Back at work now, been back since Tuesday. I am gettin my butt kicked! A little over a week of not being able to move really gets ya out of shape.

I'll be back and ridin as soon as I get the part in the mail to finish up my current project. 8)

Back