kick back hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schwinn made a coaster brake hub that had multiple gears. You change gears by kicking back on the pedals.

I've never ridden one, but folks seem to love em'.

Straight from Sheldon Brown's site:

Kickback hub
A two speed coaster brake hub, which switches between its two gears each time the brake is applied. The advantage of this system is that it doesn't require any hand controls or cables. They were formerly made by Bendix and Sachs, and were popular on folding bicycles and inexpensive tandems, but are not currently in production.

Bendix (U.S. company) made 3 models, distinguished by colored stripes running around middle of the hub shell.

* The "blue band" model offered direct drive plus a higher gear.

* The "yellow band" and "red band" flavors offered direct drive plus a lower gear. The difference between the yellow and red models is in the brake. The red band had a disc-type brake, like the old New Departure coaster brakes, while the yellow band used a pair of brass shoes pressing against the inside of the shell, as with newer Bendix and other "modern" coaster brakes.

Note that the sprockets are not interchangeable on these hubs, they only took a 20 tooth sprocket.

Sachs/Torpedo (West Germany) also used to make a kick-back hub. These are most commonly found on folding/take-apart bikes, where they offer the advantage of not requiring any cables to run from the front to the rear of the bike.

The Sachs/Torpedo hub, unlike the Bendix, did allow sprocket interchangeability, using the same 3-splined sprockets used by most other multispeed hubs (Sturmey-Archer, Shimano SRAM/Sachs, etc.) These are available from 13-24 teeth. The Sachs/Torpedo unit is also quite a lot smaller than the Bendix models.

Markm said:
beware lowlife...they aren't cheap!!

Depends on where ya find 'em :mrgreen: My last one only cost $5 and it came with most of a bicycle attached :lol: I have seen them at a vintage parts sight for about $65 or so. I currently only have one in hand and it is headed for my current rat build up.

Aaron 8)

They are AWESOME! My buddy gots one, When ever u slam it back 2 shift gears the tires lock up for a sec and chirp. Its neat-o-

hub

I have a wheel that has a bendix hub with a red stripe right in the center. Is that a kickback hub? if it is, I never knew.

No, Im pretty sure its not. I know what your talking about though, Ive seen a couple of those. I have a Bendix thats a kick-back. Mine says Bendix 2 speed automatic on the brake arm, and has three or four yellow bands on the hub also.

musclebikes said:
No, Im pretty sure its not. I know what your talking about though, Ive seen a couple of those. I have a Bendix thats a kick-back. Mine says Bendix 2 speed automatic on the brake arm, and has three or four yellow bands on the hub also.

Exact same 1 my buddys got.

Yes sir, three colored bands. Blue=28 spoke for 20" wheel. Yellow and red Are for 24" and 26" wheels as they are for 36 spoke wheels. Also a yellow band with larger holes to accept 105 ga. spokes. This one was used on Tandems and is an excellent up-grade for heavy-duty wheels for that awesome Cruiser project ! Hey Ricky, your freind might want to go alittle easier on those "power shifts" that can damage the indexing spring, making that hub a single speed. Those springs can go for upwards of $30.00 IF you can find it ! A light tap backwards will do the trick and prolong the life of your vintage hub. Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

:shock: Wow dude 30 bucks for a spring?! Dang ill tell him Especially now since im gonna try and buy the rims! lol.

Oops, my bad! Red band autos use discs as well. Tack on another $25.00 for the disc set. IF you can find it! LOL :mrgreen:

With out sounding grumpy..[its late and I'm tired] :x I think they ARE over rated....

I have two speeds....on ALL MY BIKES;.... SITTING DOWN and STANDING UP :shock: 8) 8)

they look cool though...but over priced

lOL Outsider, i couldnt agree with you more, They are cool, BUT WAY OVER PRICED!!!

Back