Kid's chopper bike, Dayton Kustoms USA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I saw a guy listing 8 or 10 bikes near my parents house, $10 each, all need work, all junk, but this one chopper caught my eye, I knew it was worth $10 for the triple tree, and that's the only reason I bought it. I thought the frame was a hacked together job because of the poor transition from the oval to round tubing, but when I picked it up I realized it was a factory job. It says Dayton Kustoms USA then real small beside it (made in China).

The wheels are obviously wrong, a front BMX wheel and a rear mini-OCC chopper wheel that someone swapped a narrow axle into, probably just the guts out of a different coaster hub since I have a couple more of the these OCC wheels and this one has the wrong sprocket and coaster brake arm.

The bars are also from a mini OCC chopper. The seat is from a mountain bike.

Like I said, was for triple tree only, but I am going to build it for a son to ride in the Christmas parade.

lilchop2.jpg

It fits my son really well, and instead of going with 20"ers on it I will be using mini-OCC front and rear wheels to get the right stand over for him.

(this photo shows it with a front 20", but I will be using an 18")
lilchop1.jpg

I already took a Jesse James chopper saddle and welded the base to the seat post that fits this frame and I recovered the top with new black vinyl.

I think it looks slick with the baby OCC's on it.
Just right for yoot,jr.!!!

aka_locojoe said:
Cool and you can always up the tire size later.

Good point.

I am going to put a short crank on it so it will be easy to reach, but a fullsize crank would work even with the little tires because of the BB location, so this is really a bike that could grow with him.

Maybe you should even paint it with chalkboard paint like bighit did. That way your boy can customize anytime he wants with some colored chalk.

kingfish254 said:
Maybe you should even paint it with chalkboard paint like bighit did. That way your boy can customize anytime he wants with some colored chalk.

That actually crossed my mind since the top tube of this frame is very similar to his frame and I have some chalkboard paint, albeit brush on.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

That actually crossed my mind since the top tube of this frame is very similar to his frame and I have some chalkboard paint, albeit brush on.
My Grand-sons bike is in chalkboard paint. I was intending for him to do stripes, lines and text on it like I had done on my RRBBO1 bike. When he was over the other day he started coloring (chalking) the entire bike changing it's color.

I used the spray on both of our bikes. I've only used the brush on type on wood and sheets of metal.

Latest posts

Back