KING KLUNKSTER (the modern klunker) - sneak peek 7/29

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NEW NAME! (EDIT: AGAIN)

I present - KING KLUNKSTER

Well my plan was to build or finish / rebuild a different bike, but this one is all that's been getting some work on the side so I guess I'll toss this one up there.

I wanted something wicked cool, and something I could use some spare parts with, something that would be my power animal (Fight Club reference). I'm into mountain biking and I love cruisers with rear non-coaster brakes for there wheelie-ability (maybe I'll get a pic of me wheelieing it later).

Here's a before shot right after I bought the bike (sorta trashed) in 2009. It's a 06 Raleigh Retroglide 7.

raleigh.jpg

It was an awesome ride, but I wanted something fast and fenderless so since I had already scraped/bent the rear fender from wheelieing and the frame is aluminum, this was the canvas.

The goal is simple. Make it fast, make it smooth, make it different. Oh, and pretty much finish it by next weekend (though a re-paint will likely be in order).

Wish me luck!

Re: PowerAnimal - Fight yourself

Good Luck!...I bought a coaster Retro a few years back. Pics don't show just how FAT those tires are.

I tend to take on a lot at once... here's some updates (from the same evening). I need some more paint. Already through a can and only 2/3 done =( (I'm thorough even if it is temporary).

001.jpg

003.jpg

A heat gun it awesome for removing chainguard decals. I'm painting the chainguard in a slightly different black... =)

007.jpg

Pretty sure I killed half my brain cells painting this thing, but it turned out pretty awesome. took around 6 coats to get it good. The fork still needs to be polished up. That'll have to wait till next week at the earliest.

Chainring now has bling.

Well aren't these parts pretty!

unfortunatly, the stem isn't gonna make it on this bike. I would have to use 2 stem shims to make it work. Maybe I'll try it on for size in the future and just not ride it very hard; but I tend to ride all my bikes hard...

001-1.jpg

Gonna use a GT stem for now. Custom painted of course to cover the GT logo on the front =)

Pretty sure I need to do a name change. Still thinkin.

ooooooo, XTR! Even the skull's eyes are bugging out.

Will the Raleigh wheel take an 8 speed cascette or will you have to do up a new rear wheel.

Re: ERROR 403 - ACCESS DENIED

oh. I'd like to mention that in true RRB style, no parts were purchased for this bike. Everything on it had been purchased or absorbed over the last few years with no specific plan for they're use. Those xtr items were on my first race bike back in '99!

That said, I'm pretty certain once you see the finished product, you'll think almost everything was built / purchased FOR this bike =)

edit: ....! I guess I did have to buy the new chain...

Re: ERROR 403 - ACCESS DENIED

So this bike is pretty much finished. I took it with me to crested butte over the weekend and used it in the chainless race (8 mile downhill), and about 15miles riding it in the 24hr townie race which is what I was building it for. It's pretty much awesome. I ended up 24th out of ??hundreds?? on the dh race.

I might add a few finishing touches and need to clean 'er up so not going to post the finished product yet. But yes, it's fast and comfy =). Might need yet another name change too. I'm no good at naming bikes.

Re: KING KLUNKSTER (the modern klunker)

sneaky shots from when I was building it in june... Now you know where the "ster" part came from in the (new) name.

My homemade headset cup press
016.jpg

Oooooooooo!
018.jpg

I'm liking this look! =)
019.jpg

As mentioned before, this bike was sort of finished a while ago. I'd still like to polish the fork more, but I've been too busy riding it =). That's also why I haven't put it in the finished section. I haven't had a chance to take good pics yet =/

The bike has around 60 miles on it already. It competed in a downhill race, rode for 4 hours in a 24 hour "race" (both in crested butte), has been commuted on a few times, and did the Golden cruise this last tuesday (smfwookie can verify I was riding it =) which is a ~35 mile round trip for me (not to mention it rained the entire way there. Only problem is it prone to flats. Already had two of them. I didn't want to put brand new tires on this thing partially because I knew I was gonna be skidding on it, and partially because I'm going to stick to my rule that nothing was actually purchased FOR this bike. It was solely built by parts I had around, and while I have some brand new fat franks in the basement, they just won't fit the finished look for this bike.

Finished pics should hopefully be taken this evening if I can get the mud off it =)

Back