Klunker for FGFS?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light bulb went off this morning. Use a klunker for fgfs ,https://vimeo.com/23009860, instead of building up a specific bike. Then I remembered scenes of worlds dumbest where people maimed themselves using bikes for unintended purposes. I figured I'd better ask more knowledgeable folks first, is this a bad idea?. What kind of problems should I expect building or using a bike like this for fgfs. Thanks. I just can't see myself paying a grand for what is essentially a really tall bmx bike.

By Klunker I assume you mean an older cruiser frame with some BMX components on it? I would think you would be better off with and older MTB with horizontal dropouts. Better frames and lighter weight.

cman said:
By Klunker I assume you mean an older cruiser frame with some BMX components on it? I would think you would be better off with and older MTB with horizontal dropouts. Better frames and lighter weight.

That is a good idea. I found a chromoly cruiser, would an older bmx frame be that much better?.

Do you live in the midwest or something? Fixed gear freestyle is dead. Craigslist is full of kids selling these bikes, because the fad is over.

Want a bike to do tricks on? Get a bmx. Want a bigger bike to do tricks on? Get a DJ mtb.

thad said:
Do you live in the midwest or something? Fixed gear freestyle is dead. Craigslist is full of kids selling these bikes, because the fad is over.

Want a bike to do tricks on? Get a bmx. Want a bigger bike to do tricks on? Get a DJ mtb.

Dirtjumpers are cool, I would really like the 700c wheels though. I don't like the way fgfs frames look either. Idk, maybe I can get a 59cm leader shadow if I keep digging. BTW, I'm no good on bmx bikes, they're just too small for me to get accustomed to. I'm a 5'9" chick with exaggerated limbs. I'm sure you can understand why I like the bigger bikes lol. It's already bad enough I had to shop through 4 helmet companies to find one big enough for my enormous head.

Thanks anyway. I'll just save up and get the milwaukee bruiser economy build. Odds are this concept wouldn't have been much cheaper anyway.

Back