Klunker opinions wanted...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a schwinn dx frame that will be a klunker in the near future. It will have new sturmey archer drum brake hubs and all. My question is, If you guys were building a klunker would you use an older fork with truss rods or a bmx style fork? Im on the fence.

untitledshoot-2813.jpg

El Duderino said:
.......would you use an older fork with truss rods or a bmx style fork?

i alternate between both and haven't ever really decided which i like best!

if you don't already have an older fork w/truss rods, or if you want to run a bmx stem a basic chrome cruiser fork is cheap and easy.

if you want to braze on a fitting for the front drum instead of using a clamp, or you already have a 22.2 stem you want to use, then an older painted fork would be easier.

so i guess my answer is "yes"......... :mrgreen:

I like all the options. Build it for YOU! Don't worry what anyone else thinks. That's what's cool about the guys & gals on this website. Everyone has their own idea of coolness. There are a lot of great ideas here. You may have the next one. 8)

I like the tubular fork better for actually riding the bike. If it's a looks thing, I'd go truss rods. When I built my cantilever klunk, I went for a '70s theme all the way around, right down to the cut-down Honda MX bars and an old Schwinn roadie saddle. I think the truss rods have more of an "as found" vibe, while the BMX forks scream "modified for trail use".

pick said:
I like all the options. Build it for YOU! Don't worry what anyone else thinks. 8)

I want to but i want look good old school vibe and i might take it to the trails. Im going to modify the frame for trail use.
Has anyone ever done the tubular fork with truss rods?

I haven't seen it done, but someone on here has probably done it. The old style truss rod setup is pretty stout, but probably not for trail riding. Probably wouldn't be too hard to make a truss with some 3/8"steel rod to fit your tubular forks. 8)

The old Schwinn frames are pretty good, the forks not so much. I'd go with a modern wishbone, preferably something without too much leading edge. :| It would give a little more clearance and a lot more strength and rigidity.

i've built a couple of klunkers...one with a '80 Schwinn canti frame and one using a '49 Schwinn straightbar frame. I used the Schwinn tubular, BMX-style forks on them both (one painted and one chrome). I like the contrast of the painted(or ratty) frame w/ the chrome forks. I've never ridden a bike w/ a truss-rod fork, but i personally like the stoutness of the tubular forks for a trail rider....and like was mentioned already, they look bad@$$! :D

El Duderino said:
Ive got a schwinn dx frame that will be a klunker in the near future.

Looks like a fun project :)

Like others have said, I'd go with a BMX fork for handling and truss rod fork for for looks. My '39 handles nicer that my '38... the '38 is kinda twitchy.

DSC_0019-1.jpg
DSC_0044-1.jpg

P1100850_2.jpg

J_Westy said:
I've been scouting around for os universal knobs, since my beloved Carlisles are no longer made :( . Are those the Cheng Shin, or something else?

deorman said:
I've been scouting around for os universal knobs, since my beloved Carlisles are no longer made :( . Are those the Cheng Shin, or something else?

Yup. Cheng Shin C693

They're sold under the Pyramid label.
P1100780.jpg

Back