Klunker rear derailleur mounting...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not really looking for anything too in depth, just more curious...
Kind'a messing around on the "WWW" and checking out some of the OG Klunkerz. Now they preferred the Schwinn Excelsior frames (well Ok, a few of them), Suntour 5 or 6 speed with the atom drum brake hub. I didn't see anything about how they were mounting the derailleur though, were they just using the tab for the drop stand and drilling it for the pivot bushing, the pics don't appear to have any additional welding?

I guess I've mildly been toying with the idea of building one, problem is I'm one of those types that'll wanna do it up full tilt... not a cheap undertaking from what I've been seeing, thus the "Mildly" qualifier.

Use a claw hanger by itself

Derailleur_Hanger_Short.JPG

or get a derailer with the claw integrated, usually older and/or cheaper

With pre-war "track" ends, you'll have to macgyver the claws to work correctly. Many of the bikes on Alan Bond's site have a hanger brazed onto the dropouts. I'm playing around with one of these tensioner/hanger doo-dads....
39796690.jpg

Origin8 and DMR make similar products....

OK, yea I just went back over to the Alan Bond's Clunkers website, if you look at the Green Hybrid pics (which is supposedly an accurate Alan Bonds build, though Alan himself didn't build that particular bike)
there's a pre assembly pic. There is apparently a derailleur hanger welded on... Didn't notice that earlier.

"Cman" and "Luke", when you guys say an earlier derailleur, how much earlier are we talking on that and do you happen to have an available model number? That seems easier than having a hanger welded.

Thanks for the info so far, pretty sure more questions will arise but I'm a ways off from starting this project... for now the "Lead Sled" will be my methadone rideo_O until I decide to go full on junkie for a real Klunker build:rofl:

Most pre-1980 derailers will have a claw, and most craptastic derailers of the 80s, 90s, and today will have a claw.

Are you trying to do this on a Worksman?

Anyone who is a derailer pervert needs to check out the Disraeli Gears site. http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html It features mostly Brit market stuff, but much of it harkens back to a day when the bike parts market was supremely global....

Are you trying to do this on a Worksman?
Nah, that thing is heavy enough anything added to that thing that makes it any heavier I believe it would have to be registered with the DOD! Of course heavier would make it one heck of a downhill bomber?!

No if I roll on this project I'll be using a prewar frame of some sort. I'm not even beyond getting the hanger welded, I figure if I run on this project I'll be jumping straight into the deep end... I was just on Evilbay checking out Atom drum brake hubs:rolleyes: it'll be as if Alan Bond himself had built it... of course I must qualify that I am only mildly looking into this, I'm in a one bedroom beach apartment and it already looks like a bike co op!:crazy:

"Disraeli Gears "site, luv the explanation on the name... way too cool!

Hey guys, I wanna thank everybody who chimed in with replies on this little excursion. Like I've been saying I'm only mildly looking into this at this time, got a few projects in front of any conscious planning going into a Klunker build so I'm pretty sure I'll have a few more questions down the road...

You know the only problem with a Klunker build's gonna be growing my hair long, the whole beard thing, and flannel shirt... it get's freak'n hot down here in FLA! Not sure how that whole late 70's Marin County look's gonna fly here?!;)

Yea ditto what RobertK said!
Hey thanks for the hanger pic, cleared up what was a confused mind on the use of that...

Latest posts

Back