Klunkerz

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Clunkers

kinda un=clunkered it a little.
100_1822.jpg

Hey - you can find mine here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4655 - the bars are now back to normal [?] & I have replaced the knobbys with some very fat Schwalbe 'big apples' - as this will be my 'townie', I put the rear rack back on to allow for a 'Banjo Bros' rack bag - we just call her 'Lucy' now - more pix to come - doug

i just saw this site. i remember the old bikes when they were doing it. so since my wife an i want to ride the rails an trails an i don.t have a mtb anymore, i am redoing my red rat. going with a 2 speed kickback coaster an 32 front . prob kenda small knobies. my wifes bike will be, well that one is being held by dingo for me till next month and i got some plans for it. will post pic of the new red clunker. thats all folks

Outlaw :mrgreen:

OUTLAW said:
i just saw this site. i remember the old bikes when they were doing it. so since my wife an i want to ride the rails an trails an i don.t have a mtb anymore, i am redoing my red rat. going with a 2 speed kickback coaster an 32 front . prob kenda small knobies. my wifes bike will be, well that one is being held by dingo for me till next month and i got some plans for it. will post pic of the new red clunker. thats all folks

Outlaw :mrgreen:
Woot!

Hey All,
Nice site. I'll post pics of my 1935 Schwinn Excelsior that Alan Bonds built up for me. Gary was over this weekend and took it for a spin. I had a party for all the guys a couple of weeks ago in Fairfax and blasted her down Repack. The bike is fast. I'll post pics soon.
Ride on,
Billy Savage
writer/producer/director
KLUNKERZ
http://www.klunkerz.com

Wow..Billy...awesome to have you on the forum!

Definitely can't wait to see the photos of the 35.

Here's a shot of an Elgin I'm working on.

DSC_0075.jpg

So much to learn on this site! I now know what a "clunker" is! Is it just me, or do the Schwinn "Cruiser 5"s from the 1980's seem to be their attempt at mass production for these bikes? I have a really sweet one I scored for $25 at a yard sale that I kustomized into a wide fender/wide bar cruiser......but NOW i am psyched to tear it apart and get tough with it :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: I spend more time thinking about bikes and tinkering with bikes than I do riding them :lol: Is that a bad ratio????????

Oh yeah....is there a "definitions" post lurking somewhere us newbies should be aware of? :mrgreen:

............what a great site........

I think the Cruiser 5 was intended to be Clunker-ish. They also made a short lived Clunker model.

Here's mine for contribution to topic. I used to ride this every day to school before getting a real job. since I have a real job, I can now dress it up clunker right ie front brake, down hill seat, remove- chain guard and kick stand.. thats a nexus 7 on the back
IMG_0091c.jpg
:D :wink:

I just watched "KLUNKERZ" last night...man, what a cool movie!

The history of what went on in Marin County back in the 70s was so awesome.

It was interesting to see how everything got started.

I am putting together a 41 Schwinn DX Klunker. Since it is still only a frame on a stand, I will refrain from posting any pic's at this time. Trying to decide if I should keep the current Sweetheart/skiptooth, find a Nexus three speed, or graft on a rear deraileur (the sweetheart will probably win out if the current rear hub is salvageable) . I would like to keep it late 70's era but finances dictate some of the parts will be newer.

kingsting said:
My swap meet cruiser which is also a 41' DX.

Sweet bike!

Nice Klunkers. I have a 2005 Schwinn ss frame lying around and some MTB tires lying around that I could throw together and make one. It seems like every time I look at this site I find another bike project to do. :mrgreen:

Back