Knee-action fork too softly sprung, solutions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
The knee-action fork on my build off bike is too softly sprung. Although the bike rides like a Town Car as a result, it feels goofy riding it; it wallows up and down.

Anybody have a similar situation, and if so, what did you do?

when I built my Monark, I found stiffer springs offered on Ebay. I don't see any offered for the knee-action type fork.

Just have to watch the side expansion, but even Answer/Manitou used those in the old mtb forks

The early homemade BMX bikes with Schwinn springer forks often got automotive valve springs put on to replace the weak originals.

I bought a Schwinn style replacement spring from Memory Lane and it was super stiff. I called them and asked about it and they said it was a Whizzer spring they sent by mistake. I kept it. I imagine someone makes (or did make) heavier Whizzer springs for Schwinn style springers. Gary

Grab a spring and just head over to the hardware store. See if they have something.

Whats that one in Meriden we used to go to ... Church and Morse? Bet they have something.

Skip, Church and Morse has been closed a while (sad).

I tried McMaster, MSC, Reid Tool and Grainger. None had the right size. Found the right size on Century Spring's website, but the online checkout didn't work, so I'll call them today.

I learned a few things about springs during my research anyway.

Thanks all.

CeeBee said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I learned a few things about springs during my research anyway.

Good to see that some people realize there is more to it than twisty bouncy metal. :D

Ha! Ya. I'm an entry level designer of sorts (more of a draftsman), so I feel a little stupid that I didn't apply that knowledge before posting here. Socal's suggestion should have come to me naturally since I already am in the habit of researching items there for my job. I just had blinders on, and was thinking I needed a bicycle part that already existed (but doesn't).

thanks. I guess I'm using the wrong description for my fork setup? oops.

Century had a minimum order, so I had to order six springs. If they work, I'll be selling the other two sets.

Back