Know of a good bike travel case?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
A buddy of mine at work is planning a biking trip in France (lucky dog) and is looking for a recommendation on a good travel case for a standard 700c road bike, any suggestions?

Thanks for the input?

Cheers,
Dr. T

All I know is they usually cost about $200.00. How about just packing it really well in cardboard, then source a replacment box for the return trip.

Years ago the shop I was working at had a customer come in from France. He brought along his generic silver spraypainted mountain bike, we built him a custom moots (titanium) which he promptly got all muddy then boxed it up for the return trip. I think he may have saved a few bucks on duties? That bike shipped in cardboard with some extra wood blocks here and there just to be safe.

He is looking at one by Serfas on eBay for around $250. He was thinking about renting one from his LBS, but they want $20 a day and his trip is two weeks long, so it makes fiscal sense to just buy one.

It might be a hard sell to convince him to wrap his $3000 carbon fiber roadie in cardboard. :mrgreen: Although I'm sure it would fine, really, it would be fine, really, trust me.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

that is a good point Peatbog. There is plenty of potential for damage in transporting a bicycle. He could probably rent or buy a decent bicycle in France to use for the short term, unless he is doing some kind of specialty event where his bike is the best tool for the job. do they have craigslist in france?

They show up on craigslist in the bikes section. Keep in mind it's not only the cost of the case but also the cost that the airlines might charge to check it.

Another idea is to buy a used bike whereevwr it is he's flying to and try to sell it by the end of his trip.

Back