Krate conversion/suggestions...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For starters; here's a pic of the bike when I got it:

3n23of3lb5V25Q65R3b5i406ba5d08465171e.jpg

(That's from the CL ad)

It's a '75 Sting-Ray, single-speed with a coaster brake. I've managed to get about 85-90% of the rust off, re-adjust (and re-grease) the handlebars, and improvise a seat. The seat pan is rusted beyond hope,but with a piece of foam and a roll of Gorilla tape,it's a good 15-footer.I also swapped out the original tires until I can find a way to possibly restore them. They're showing some dry-rot; but I'm going to try a trick I read here last night to preserve them enough for use, at least until I can get some new ones.

I'm currently weighing out ideas for a build, and one of the ones I've considered is a conversion to a (partial) Krate. I'm thinking along the lines of being period-correct (no frame shifter); but if I were to come across a shifter for the right price; I'd definitely do it. The point is that I'm not going for a by-the-letter-down-to-every-bolt-being-correct resto here; I just want to bring it up to speed.....so to speak. I want to have hand brakes and freewheel-but disc brakes are not "gotta-haves" , a three-or five- speed setup (whichever type is easier,both in installation and maintenance).

I should also mention here that this will be my first full build.

Now that I've laid the groundwork;I have a few questions pertaining to this project:

The rear rim is bent,and also rusting from the inside.

1.-Can it be straightened? It's not a warp-type bend,it looks more like a pry-bend-if that makes sense. It looks like a previous owner hit a curb...but not so hard as to make the bike un-ridable.

2.-Is there any way to fix the rust; or at least stop the spread of it? I've already lost a tube due to rust flakes shaking loose while riding. I may have a temporary fix for that part of it,but I want to see if there's one I'm unaware of.

3.-If I do need replacement rims; do they absolutely have to come from another Sting-Ray?

3a.-What is the significance of the "S1" and "S2" designations? Is there a logical explanation, or is it for the sake of authenticity, like let's say, having the exactly period-correct Autolite spark plugs for a '71 Ford Torino GT?

4.-What size rim/ tire combo do I need for the front? Do I need different forks-if I don't get Springers?

5.-Speaking of Springers,which one shows the biggest difference-spring on the front,or the shocks on the sissy bar?

3.-Re: Rear brakes. How do I mount the brake to the frame, without butchering said frame?

4.-Can I still get the exact color for a repaint without getting ripped off?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but those will do for a start. I realize that there may be some eye-rolling at my queries, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere...

Thanks for reading, and any tips you can provide...

My head hurts now...^

Your Q's would be easier to answer 1 at a time.

Hey Jimmy they are all easy fixes...we can help ya out!

MagicRat said:
My head hurts now...^

Your Q's would be easier to answer 1 at a time.

Hey Jimmy they are all easy fixes...we can help ya out!

Ha!! Sorry 'bout that......

I actually figured it'd be easier to have it all in one pile,so to speak..

Here's a quick version:

That's the bike above.....has a bent and rusting back rim....I want to make it a Krate....suggestions?

bicycleguy said:
You can get the correct paint in spray cans from
http://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm

3a. Do you mean S7 instead of S1? They are tire/wheels sizes, S2 is the standard 20x2.125 size rim while a S7 is 20x1 3/4" Schwinn size and is a little bigger than a S2 so the tires are not interchangeable.

Yes!!

That's what I meant...I was typing too fast.

Thanks; that's one down...

I put a bent 26" springer on my purple Bratz bike that I call the Grape Krate with a 16" front wheel.

I got that front wheel from my LBS for I believe $10 clams complete with the tire too.(in stock ready to install)

The originall application for it is a little kids bike.

MagicRat said:
I put a bent 26" springer on my purple Bratz bike that I call the Grape Krate with a 16" front wheel.

I got that front wheel from my LBS for I believe $10 clams complete with the tire too.(in stock ready to install)

The originall application for it is a little kids bike.

I'm taking notes.... 8)

....and I think I put this thread in the wrong place-it should be in the Muscle Bikes forum.

Back