Krate repop's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackdiamond said:
The bad thing about this thread is i want one now :roll:

Lol yeah I know ! thanks for finding them all Blackdiamond.. I honestly dont know what direction I wanna go... Ive never ridin a krate but I love the look of them... Id love an original but if i did id want a restored one or mintish but id be affraid of riding it and bailing or something a repop wouldnt be so bad... the fastback is sweeeeet clean it up and ride it did fastbacks come with skinny's on them? dont look like a 20x1.7 or 2.125?? were any of the true repops 5 spds or all them singles?

Thanks for all the info and help all you guys :)

ok so new question...

Ive been lookin on ebay and such and also bought a fastback its on the way :) but as for the repops... I see some people selling them saying 2004 etc and there what look to me like a bfk with no shocks on sissy bar etc and some selling them as 2006 and there titled as a "grey ghost" etc... was schwinn making real repops and wally knock off at the same time??

So.. tell me if im right or wrong here

The correct schwinn repops,
-all have shocks on sissy bars like the originals
-all tittled as "orange krate" "pea picker" etc etc

The BFK's
-reg sissy bar
-all chain gaurds just say sting ray
- only came in black, blue and green?

One more thing to add about BFK's: Don't leave 'em outside! They'll rust all to heck in like no time flat. :(

But, if you store it indoors and take care of it, it should last quite a while. Here's mine (customized a bit, of course :D ):
100_3687.jpg

I bought one when they first came out. I never rode it and then later sold it for $100. I think I paid more than $70 though new. I was thinking more around $85 plus tax.

They're ok for a rider. The sprocket is seriously ugly compared to the original rays. The springer fork was too short, 20" instead of 24" like the original krates. Some people replaced the 16 inch wheel with a 20 incher, that looked better. I've seen people put a 24" fork or an old sting ray blade fork and those looked great too. The seats tended to discolor easily. Mine did and it never hardly saw the sun or even indoor lighting. The clamp for the seat post was welded onto the frame unlike the originals.

I was going to start out fitting mine with old schwinn parts to replace the parts I didn't like. Then I realized by the time I did that I would have way more $ into it than I would want to. I would rather concentrate on old bikes. I don't really regret selling it. For the price people are asking you can find an original sting ray in decent shape.

I owned an AMX shift hornet for a while, a somewhat recent bike that also looked like a sting ray and was actually way cooler than the BFK's to me.

Tychevelle said:
ok so new question...

Ive been lookin on ebay and such and also bought a fastback its on the way :) but as for the repops... I see some people selling them saying 2004 etc and there what look to me like a bfk with no shocks on sissy bar etc and some selling them as 2006 and there titled as a "grey ghost" etc... was schwinn making real repops and wally knock off at the same time??

So.. tell me if im right or wrong here

The correct schwinn repops,
-all have shocks on sissy bars like the originals
-all tittled as "orange krate" "pea picker" etc etc

The BFK's
-reg sissy bar
-all chain gaurds just say sting ray
- only came in black, blue and green?

I may be wrong but I don't think all of non-BFK the repops had the shock sissy bar. Only the krate and gray ghost etc. They also made a coppertone (I think also a blue one) and a few other non-krate sting ray's that had regular sissy bars and the blade style forks.

lucha_mike said:
I may be wrong but I don't think all of non-BFK the repops had the shock sissy bar. Only the krate and gray ghost etc. They also made a coppertone (I think also a blue one) and a few other non-krate sting ray's that had regular sissy bars and the blade style forks.

Yeah I agree, when schwinn was still schwinn not pacific or whomever owns the name now they made a few stingray repops also but for the shock sissy bar I meant all the non bfk krates had them, all walmart krates didnt... ?

Back