krates and stingrays

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the difference between a schwinn crate and a stingray?

they look the same to me
but i've been wrong before
and this is lookin like one of those times

stingrays are the basic bikes

stingray - was a bare bones bike w/ 20" wheels
stingray deluxe - added fenders and maybe whitewalls - sometimes had a reverse-screen chainguard
stingray super deluxe - added a springer front fork and a chrome chainguard
stingray fastback - different frame and a skinnier rear tire, single speed with a coaster brake and a 5-speed with caliper brakes were available

all the stingrays (excludin the fastback) were available in a single speed coaster brake, 2 speed coster brake, 3 speed (some thumb shifters and some stik shifters) with caliper brakes, (there may be a 3 speed coaster brake model but im not for sure)

the stingray krates were basically the hot rods -
red- Apple Krate
orange - Orange Krate
green - Pea Picker
yellow - Lemon Peeler
white - Cotton Picker
grey - Grey Ghost
(in 99 they made a grape krate)

schwinnstingraykratechainguards.jpg

schwinncottonpicker.jpg

schwinngreyghoststing.jpg

schwinnlemonpeeler.jpg

schwinnorangekratesting.jpg

schwinnpeapicker.jpg

stingrayapplekrate.jpg

the krates - had a white letter rear tire, drum brakes, 5 speed stick shift (some were single speed coasters though), springer front fork with a 16" wheel up front (they used longer springer forks to make up the wheel size difference), drum brake hubs (later years had a disc brake on the rear), suspension sissy bar and had the "S"stripe seats.

the girls bikes were stingray "Fair Lady"s smaller girls stingrays were "lil chik"s or "Slik chik"s (not sure which at the moment.

theres also little kids bikes like the "Junior" stingray and "Pixie" stingray, might also be a "lil tiger" stingray too but not certain on that.

I was once told and showed that the Krates had a little different frame than the regular Stingrays. Can't remember for sure but it seems like it was a longer or wider rear seaction (triangle). Don't know if it's true or not, but would be interested in knowing for sure.
Great post!
Thanks

Chainsaw said:
I was once told and showed that the Krates had a little different frame than the regular Stingrays. Can't remember for sure but it seems like it was a longer or wider rear seaction (triangle). Don't know if it's true or not, but would be interested in knowing for sure.
Great post!
Thanks

ive heard somethin similar, had ta do with with the chainguard length too, almost like the seatpost/bottom bracket was closer to the rear dropouts, again this is random hear-say i think i recall :? .

Gigs and I had a guy show us the difference this last summer. He had an original Lemon Peeler and an mid 60's Stingray . He put them side by side and there was a difference in that area, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Both bikes were beautiful. If I ever get over by his house, I'll try to get some pics.

here is a couple examples of the difference in a krate frame versus a standard stingray, you'll notice the white frame ( was yellow) is about
2" longer in the stays and about 3/4" wider to fit the 5sp.wheel also note the seat stay support is different to accept the brake caliper.
100_5300.jpg

100_5301.jpg

Schwinnspastic said:
here is a couple examples of the difference in a krate frame versus a standard stingray, you'll notice the white frame ( was yellow) is about
2" longer in the stays and about 3/4" wider to fit the 5sp.wheel also note the seat stay support is different to accept the brake caliper.
100_5300.jpg

100_5301.jpg

Man I love it when I look like I can use my brain for thinking! :mrgreen: Thanks for clarifying it for us! I feel sooooo smart! :lol:

wow, didnt expect ot get a reply so fast on that ? let alone pics !!! thanks SS :wink:

do you know if the bigger frames are only on the krates or is it the same for any stingray frame with a brake mount like the stingray 3/5 speeds ?

i was also thinkin my 66 has a 36t sprocket, could the extra length be for the bigger 44t they ended up usin later on ?

The frames shown are different because the red one is for a coaster brake Stingray, and the white one is for a Stingray that was either a 3 or 5 speed. A 3 or 5 speed Stingray would have the same frame as a 5 speed Krate.

great thread! I always wondered about this stuff too, thanks for the crash course!

another question: where does the Manta Ray fit into all this? I thought it was similar to the Fastback...

--rick

mantas and fastbacks are a different frame all together ie. not a cantilever frame. We always thought they were worthless, parted out a few
and now 30 yrs later they're worth a few bucks wish I kept a few around instead of chopping them up :wink:

dang :shock:
i was just askin what i thought was a simple question

thanks for the loads of info evryone!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

ParkRNDL said:
great thread! I always wondered about this stuff too, thanks for the crash course!

another question: where does the Manta Ray fit into all this? I thought it was similar to the Fastback...

--rick

im pretty sure the manta ray had 24" wheels, the frame looks like a bigger fastback and had a short wide seat, the recent repop mantaray at wal-mart are NOTHING like the old ones.

CCR said:
im pretty sure the manta ray had 24" wheels, the frame looks like a bigger fastback and had a short wide seat, the recent repop mantaray at wal-mart are NOTHING like the old ones.

Yep, the the Manta is a 24". It's basically a bigger version of the fastback. The seat wasn't your typical 'nanner seat either, it had a funky wide part in the middle.

361Fury said:
A 3 or 5 speed Stingray would have the same frame as a 5 speed Krate.

...and just to confuse things a little bit more: I've got a '68 coaster and a '69 3-speed frame and the 3-speed has the short tail section while the coaster has a long tail section. Rear dropout spacing is the same on both. The 3-speed also has the caliper brake bracket. I know the '69 is not a Junior due to the brake bracket and stik-shift.

Schwinn certainly did make a whole lot of variations of Stingray frame - the manufacturing logistics of all those slightly different frames must have kept the guys in factory on their toes!

-Mp

After 1970 schwinn did produce a small number of single speed Krates
thats a bit of info thats always over looked, I own one of them, but I dont own a camera :x

Hi my name is Gary. I'm new to the forum

I just got interested in the Schwinn Sting-Ray and Krates bicycles again. I had an Orange krate when I was 10, it was stolen. After doing a a lot of research on the web and looking on ebay at all the parts. I decided to build a recreation. Today I pick up a late 1980 frame MR******, a complete bicycle. The Frame has the stays for mount caliber brakes on both front forks and rear frame(looks the same as the white frame in this post). My question is does anyone have an idea as to which model string-ray this might have been? and is there any dimensions I should check to verify this is a full size frame. The bike has the 4 hole sprocket, the blade type forks, coaster brake, s-2 wheels. white wall tires that says Schwinn Sting-Ray 20 X 2.125, original Red (now cheap painted pink lol). I think it may have been built from a collection of parts.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide

Gary

UPDATE: I have discovered that this bike is a 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 20" can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Sting-Ray and Cruiser frames?

Back