Krylon Glitter Blast or Dupli-color Metal Specks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually shoot with Dupli-color rattle cans and this time I want some larger kandy flake than usual. I saw Krylon Glitter Blast which looks like it adds too much texture and will require waaay more clear to compensate. Any one try it out in the real world? A compressor & spray equipment ain’t happening any time soon. I may just settle for Metalcast over Metalspecks. Hot cha!

I've used the Rust-Oleum glitter stuff, then cleared it and wet sanded the clear. Otherwise it's too textured for my liking

You could go with a manual application

Too funny! Just before I posted I saw that guy do the demo of the glitter blast and worried it was too much texture. It reminded me of my very first guitar which I refinished back in ‘93...using the same manual technique he demoed here! On that one I did a navy blue base with signal green glitter. Looked amazing but I never applied enough clear to get it smooth enough. With guitars I like thinner finishes to avoid the plastic feel that can make them feel less resonant. A bike however isn’t about noise...clear, moar wetsanding = moar purty.

Thanks for the replies guys. Do either of you have pics?

IMG_20200528_174905130~2.jpg

Rust-Oleum glitter over dark primer. No clear at this point so the "pop" is low

I usually shoot with Dupli-color rattle cans and this time I want some larger kandy flake than usual. I saw Krylon Glitter Blast which looks like it adds too much texture and will require waaay more clear to compensate. Any one try it out in the real world? A compressor & spray equipment ain’t happening any time soon. I may just settle for Metalcast over Metalspecks. Hot cha!
I used krylon glitter on my build off bike as an accent. It seemed to lay flat enough and covered easily with clear. Found some at the dollar store.

Back