KT/Bendix Red Band hybred coaster brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a box full of coaster hubs so I thought I would try and put modern guts into an old shell. Why? It would look vintage, have easy to find replacement guts and accept various new cogs. The picture below has a Shimano 22 tooth cog on the old Bendix hub. The New Departure was out, groves inside the shell. Morrow is too massive. Bendix Red band appears to have the most similar hub shell for a transplant. I used the Bendix hub shell, Bendix axle and Bendix coaster side bearing. On the right drive side I used the China brake shoes, bearing dust cap, clutch and driver. The expanders seemed to line up but all I ended out with was a hub that spins, without wobble, but the coaster brake isn't working. These China coaster brakes are a dime a dozen as people are always tossing out their kids bikes so you can get the parts for free. The China hubs are usually 28 hole so they are usless for me but I have several to monkey with. I brought the whole mess inside to warm up and I will probably have to clean it and try and see if I can figure anything out. Anyone else tried this?
IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

Last edited:
Now that the two hubs are warmed up and I cleaned all the goo out of them I see the expander's don't line up. The ears on the two models are not compatible. I'll have to see if I can make them fit, but the non drive side bearings on the KT/Shimano hub are of a smaller diameter than the Bendix. They appear to be the same on the drive side. Anyone have prior experience trying this? I am not quite ready to give up yet. So far, close but no cigar.

This is another one of my DO NOT TRY THIS projects. The only thing similar enough to work on both hubs is the axle. I assume they are both 3/8 x 24? I didn't bother to put my thread counter on them. I got a hybrid together but it bound up and couldn't be adjusted properly. I tried all combos and tried different caged a well as loose ball bearings and could not get it to work. Its cold, dreary and damp out and I am coming down with the flu or a cold so I thought I would monkey around with something that requires no physical activity and only 3 inner connected brain cells. I got that idea out of my system. Machining is required and that defeats the idea of doing it at a reasonable price. All ideas welcome. This was like driving on an empty tank and seeing how far you could go (stupid).

Both the Bendix and the KT/Shimano hubs take 3/8x24tpi axles.... and the KT/Shimano hubs are pretty much the same dsign concept.... but virtually everything dimension on the Bendix is bigger than in the Shimano/KT hubs.

Latest posts

Back