KT Hubs - Any Good?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I ordered a KT coaster brake hub from the bike shop. I was going to "three-speed" my Schwinn Cruiser but it was just getting too complicated and I'm between jobs at the moment. The shop already had a 20" alu. wheel with this hub but it was much cheaper to order the hub alone since I'm going to lace it up to a 700 rim. The hub looks pretty decent and the shop says they never had any problems with them. The brake arm actually looks really nice - better than the stamped-steel cb arms back in the day.

Anyway I have a front brake so I won't have to rely on this hub for all my stopping but where I live is the hilliest area in the Midwest!.

Yeah I'm a member of MOBO. They don't have any cb wheels except for kid's bikes. I think the hub I ordered says HI-Stop on the brake arm.

KT makes the HiStop, as well as a few other CB hubs. The word on the street is, KT also makes the Shimano Cb-e100, but I've not been able to confirm this anywhere but with internet rumors/legends. At any rate, I've found the shimano and KT hubs to differ in terms of performance and fit/finish, although the basic design is very similar.

As a guy who currently owns a few contemporary Shimano cb's, one KT cb, and a few Velosteels, I feel pretty strongly that the Shimano is the safest bet among the current/new production singlespeed coaster brake hubs. I prefer the Velostees, but I think the Shimanos brake better, cost less, and are easier to obtain and maintain. The KT hubs I've dealt with get the job done--- barely and briefly. Setting up the bearings is difficult, as they go from sloppy to binding without any real sweet spot in between. FWIW, the Velosteels...and any hub with flats on the axle.... are the easiest to dial in, in terms of setting the cones up.

Several of what I consider to be my best, smoothest working coaster hubs are KT's, I have them on quite a few bikes and never even had to adjust them, work as good and hold up as well as any of my Shimano coasters.

All recent Asian coaster hubs are delicate compared to older and/or American/European types IMO. They work if you use them judiciously enough, but it doesn't take a heavy lifter to break them.

Several of what I consider to be my best, smoothest working coaster hubs are KT's, I have them on quite a few bikes and never even had to adjust them, work as good and hold up as well as any of my Shimano coasters.

IMHO you have defied the odds.

20-30 years ago it was very unusual for me to tell a customer a CB hub was hopeless, now it's commonplace...

At the very least make sure there's grease on the outer drive side bearing with any new Chinese CB. ;-)

In my shop days (which were fairy brief....little over a year), the ubiquitous KTs were bad enough to make me leery of any coaster hub. Almost every kiddie bike and cheeeeep cruiser had one; some were already shaky from day one, and many others came back to the shop for work pretty quickly. I had written of the Shimano cb-e110 as being basically the same thing, but it's not. I find that they brake pretty strongly (with a tendency to lock up too early for my taste... but with brakes, I feel that "too much" is better'n "not enough") and, more importantly, they take a tune-up very nicely.

I've noticed that the reaction arm of the Shimano CBs still says "Japan" on it, but I think they had piles of the arms lying around and they're sandwiching that reaction arm between locknuts and cones of Chinese origin. No matter; I find that I can adjust the bearings of the Shimano hub quite easily. The KT HiStops I used to work on at the shop were difficult to adjust, probably due to poor tolerances... you'd think you'd have it right, only to find that the hub would bind if you put it back on the bike and spun it. So, you loosen the cones a hair, try again, and you'd find it to be sloppy. This KT hub I have on one of my bikes now, welll..... it works pretty good... the brake is weak but it spins alright.... But, I don't really trust it and I'm actually feeling a bit apprehensive about cracking it open for maintenance.

OTOH, there's a guy on the mtbr forums who has several coaster-equipped mountain bikes that he really rides on real trails, and he swears by the KTs, so maybe there's some trick to it? I'll likely never find out, as I tend to avoid the things.

Most folks on here will, understandably, prefer vintage CB hubs. And I get that; they sure don't make'm like they used to. But, that's the thing.... they don't make'm anymore. At least with the new hubs, you can easily source brand-new parts. Many of the parts for KT and Shimano are available a a carte, and dirt-cheap. I'm pretty sure Veosteel parts are available, too, but they're not as accessible as the others. Worst case scenario, you can buy a complete new hub and transfer the guts to the existing wheel. Finding NOS parts for older Bendix, ND, Morrow, Perry, Musselman, Sachs, etc hubs is a more difficult and more expensive proposition.

The Hi-stops I've had, have either made a buzzing sound while coasting, or made a hideous screeching sound when the brake was applied.

I would try to avoid the hi-stops.

I bought a shimano e-110 and wired it into a 700c wheel... Those hubs can usually be had for less than $30. Those seem like a decent hub.

A dh wheelset i found for a good price, advertised a shimano coaster brake hub, but when it arrived I was disappointed to see it was actually a hi-stop.:(

I am going to try to lace in a Bendix instead...

I just bought a set of Felt cruiser wheels. Rear was advertised as a Shimano, but was a Hi Stop. Reading this thread has me a little concerned. So far, it's quiet and smooth. Bearing preload was easy to set. If it turns to garbage, I'll swap it for something else. The Velosteel hubs look nicely made, but I am sure the cheaper Shimano will function fine.

I've never tried it myself, but rumor has it that the kt hub's ID is same as a shimano cb-e, so you could just buy a shimano hub and swap the guts into the kt shell. No need to re-lace the wheel.

I really like my velosteels, but they're not without their flaws. I like the one piece construction (the kt and shimanos have press-on flanges) and they coast great-- very little drag. However, the brake is weak, and engagement can be sketchy if you're not judicious with the lube. I'm feeling pretty loya to the Velosteels for my own persona use, but I think I'm more likely to recommend the Shimano to a friends. Keep em greased up well, and they're good.

I've never tried it myself, but rumor has it that the kt hub's ID is same as a shimano cb-e, so you could just buy a shimano hub and swap the guts into the kt shell. No need to re-lace the wheel.

I can now confirm this rumor. Swapped the parts from a Shimano CB-E into my KT High Stop. The KT wasn't holding adjustment well and braking was very on/off, hard to modulate. We'll see how the Shimano holds up.

It fit and adjusted well, too?

Fits and adjusted up perfect. Side by side, the inner parts look identical. only difference I saw was in the finish of the axle lock nuts on each side of the hub. The lock nut on for the drive side bearing cone is alreading showing marring in the finish, so it seems the material quality of the KT hubs are below Shimano.

I just tore down and greased my Shimano hub tonight. It was making a little noise. What a breeze to adjust. Was a little dry in the grease department too. Much better now.

It's a widely-held belief that KT makes the cb-e110 for Shimano, so i guess the interchangeability makes sense. The fit/finish/quality of the Shimano-labeled units seem to be much nicer, though....

And yes, a repack/rebuild of a modern Shimano coaster is a breeze, but I love cb hubs with the square axle, for adjustment after installation. So convenient....

I have several Hi-Stops, and I run them sloppy (loose). I think this is the ticket for longevity with them. They function well, and last this way.

Sloppy is always better than tight. The "sweet spot" is the goal, of course.... and I can't find a sweet spot on most HiStops. so, like you, I aim for a l'il sloppy.

agreed, I should have said that I do this because I too could not find the sweet spot. If my wife read this she'd nod her head in agreement.

Latest posts

Back