La Esperanza

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crickets...crickets...crickets... At that "lots of time, not a lot to show for it" phase right now, but basically component cleanup is done. Acid bathed the worst of the scale and got a quick coat of wax on things to hold them steady, unfroze the chain, repacked bearings and the freewheel and such.

IMG_20140608_173616.jpg

clean but not too shiny :)

Pedals are shot, I'll need to track down a used Brooks I can afford, and then the really hard decision comes- wide whites or blackwalls. Prolly have to assemble the whole bike before my muse speaks to me on that one.

Last edited:
Woot! Dago represent lol. Finally something resembling real progress to report. Mr. Postman dropped of a 'just this side of cherry' 59 Jaguar frame with just the right mix of patina and shine allowing me to finally at least get to the mock up stage. Also broke down and bought some Duro tires- had my eyes on some OG snakebelly whitewalls but just couldn't bring myself to pay $100 for used tires that with my luck I'd tear installing. A little makeshift 'weathering' and these are pretty tolerable. Other than cables and tubes, everything else will be period correct for the summer of '82.

IMG_20140617_152607.jpg

IMG_20140617_152758.jpg

I think I might even run reflectors just for the hades of it, and maybe a chainguard if I can find a Feather in black for a decent price...

First day of summer and first shakedown run- it rides, it shifts, it stops. Second day of summer and second shakedown run... it breaks the chain. I just HAD to try to save the rusty old chain for the 'patina' lol.

IMG_20140622_112700.jpg

Not ready to move it to the "done" column yet (seat and post are temporary) but at least my arms are as red as I presume my posterior to be...

Latest posts

Back