Laced a wheel.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor gave this old 20" pink girl's NEXT bike. I thought since it had 36 spokes I could use the Chinese Coaster Brake hub on my Board tracker...for now.

So I removed the spokes and hub from the NEXT, and then carefully stripped down the 26" wheel and removed the Sturmey Archer 3-spd. The new hub was smaller in diameter and a touch narrower but what do I know? :D

I got on Sheldon Browns site after two failed attempts at lacing by copying the front wheel. Great tutorial there on wheel lacing. Following his instructions I got the new hub on the wheel. Spokes are just a hair too long (they stick up past the top of the nipples) so I doubled the rim guard up.

It works, it's tight, almost true, and was a good learning experience. Now when I get real parts it should be a lot easier to do it right.

Everyone should try it, it's not rocket science. I can post a tutorial with pics, if that will help. Sheldonbrowns how-to is also mandatory reading.

Hugo

lacing wheels is one of those things that is not that hard just that if you mess up on where you place the first spoke or calculate the wrong length spokes your going to be taking it apart again lol. once you do a few sets it does become easier.

Hugo said:
Everyone should try it, it's not rocket science. I can post a tutorial with pics, if that will help. Sheldonbrowns how-to is also mandatory reading.

Hugo

OOOoooo I would like to see a tutorial on this. I've always wanted to learn but I could never find a how-to. :D I'll research sheldonbrowns too. Thanks

Very cool ACD! Usually when I lace wheels up and the spokes are a little long I file down the excess sticking up. Might cause tube puncture problems depending how much is sticking thru.

Thanks for the accolades, and here I was thinking this was old hat to all of you. Good idea on filing the spokes, I'll get the Dremel Wheel out maybe. I rode it around in the yard... geared a bit tall like it should be I guess. Here's a couple pics of the bike now I also pulled the cover off the seat for a more "bare bones" look. Still need to find that junkyard Brooks Saddle

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030-1.jpg

Back