Lacing a Brooks B66 saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Lacing a Brooks B66 saddle

My Brooks B66 is starting splay out at the sides. So I've decided to "lace" it to help alleviate this problem.

This thread will serve as a step by step "how to" (hopefully) or a "how not to" (hopefully not).

Top view:

SDC11253.jpg

Side view:

SDC11254.jpg

More pics to come soon!

aka_locojoe said:
Saddle looks new. Curious is it causing problems while riding or are you doing it for looks?

It is practically brand new. It isn't causing too much of a problem when riding. I just don't want it to become a problem & I don't like the fact that it looks like a ran over toad.

The_Black_Monark said:
Wondering if the tilted-back angle could have anything to do with it.
You might have seen it, but here's a good link about leather saddles, with info on Brooks:

http://sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

From sheldonbrown.com:

Tension Adjustment
Most leather saddles have a tension-adjusting nut located under the nose of the saddle. Fortunately, this nut usually requires a special wrench, so most people leave it alone. In almost every case that I know of where someone has tried to adjust the tension with this nut, the saddle has been ruined. My advice is to leave it alone.

If a leather saddle gradually becomes too soft and too wide after many thousands of miles, it is sometimes useful to punch a few holes in the bottoms of the side flaps and lace them together under the saddle frame.

This allows the width and firmness of the saddle to be adjusted to the rider's taste. Some older models came with a row of holes along the lower edge of the side flaps, for this very purpose.

I realize that this sounds like a lot of trouble, but most cyclists who take the trouble find it well worth while--in the end.

Latest posts

Back