lacing a sturmey spoke question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey folks.i've seen countless sturmey archer 3 speed units sell on here along with other makes. i'm guessing that some of you are no stranger to lacing one of these bad boys up. i've searched around, and have yet to find a flat out answer. i pulled a sturmey unit from a 27" schwinn and want to lace it to a 26" wheel. they're both 36 spoke, so no issue there. the 26" is a 10 speed MB wheel. i zapped off the cassette, and am left wondering if the spokes are going to be too long. the SA hub is way larger than the modern hub on the 26"
anybody have a solution beside take it to a shop and have somebody who knows how to do it? or use the spoke calculator? will the regular 26" spokes work with trimming down the ends? should i use 20" wheel spokes?? any advice would be appreciated....

Your in luck my friend, I have had 2 done, 3 speed 36 hole mated to a modern alum MTB Rim. Three cross pattern is a 158 mm spoke. Tried 160's and they are to long. If you can find a front rim with a large hub that is the same size as the S/A you can use that. If not your going to buy 36 spokes. It would be easier to by 100 spokes and do several rims or sell the rest of the spokes..

thanks for the input. i was kind of thinking a large hub front wheel would work. something around the same size as the S/A. from what i have read spokes usually run 1.00 each and i'm trying to stay away from that. i like building on a budget. the local flea market sells used spokes so i might just show up with a measuring tape. even if it is a 160 spoke i might get away with trimming it down.

Back