Lacing rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have read how to but still looks way to tough. I have one wheel with a bad hub on a good rim and a good hub on a bad rim. Paying somebody would cost way to much. Is it easy or should it be left to the pros.

Here's the easy way to do it: Remove the good rim from the bad hub, keep the spokes for spares. Tape the good rim to the bad one with the valve holes aligned. Remove the spokes from the bad rim and transfer them one by one to the good one. Remove tape and bad rim when transfer is complete and tru your new wheel. That's it.

I have laced numerous wheels and I had to teach myself how to do it. The lacing isn't the hard part its when you get to truing your wheel. I would second aka_locojoes link Sheldon has some really good advice to give. I just sat down with a wheel that was laced and the wheel I needed to lace and traced them to where they went on the laced wheel. After you figure it out and do it a couple of times you can do them in your sleep. Troy

i would agree lacing is not really the hard part once you get going. truing and tensioning of the spokes is hard though and really should be done by a shop. there are a bunch of steps like setting the spokes so that the weight is not just on the head of the spoke, bringing up the tension equally, setting final tension etc.... not to say it can't be done just take it slow.

Karfer. I think you are right, for me personally. I read and it looks okay to lace the rim but truing and tensioning could be hard. I am not patient enough

The bad hub is some no name coaster brake that is acting like a freewheel. The hub just spins backwards instead of applying the brake and sometimes loses it ability to go pedal forward(just spins). What would be the diagnosis?

The hub is a Hi-Stop coaster brake. It is made by KT (china). Is this the same hub as the Shimano E (I believe KT makes the Shimano)? If so I can get parts to rebuild and no need for the lace up.

Back