Lady Rats!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started my quest to become a notable builder of rat bikes and develope my own style of bike, I have found and bought many more ladies cruisers than mens. I know thisis mainly due to the fact that men and boys bikes from back in the day were jumped, wrecked, laid down in the yard for days and days while it rained, snowed, etc. While ladies bikes were often taken better care of and ridden less maybe. So, I thought, " rat what you got ". Now, I do have some canteliever frames to work with and some cool diamonds but, the coolest lines and bikes that tend to need the least repair to make road worthy are the ladies ones I have gathered. It lead me to thinking that, I could build bikes that everyone would like and ride. I noticed the seat to pedal height on most ladies is to short for men so, I am adding banana seats and sissy bars. Angled seat post will give me the same result. I have a couple mock ups right now that I have been riding before they go to paint. NO pics yet but, soon. Thanks for reading!

I hear you. I bought this bike just to cannibalize the parts, but don't have the heart to take a wrench to it because it is in such good shape. I believe that it is 100% original, and only missing two parts, a headlamp and a rear reflector.

1970's AMC Flash with a RENAK hub and tires made in Sweden.
8018437.jpg

This one on the other hand, I paid $5.00 for and have stripped it bare...lots of good parts here.

80's/90's Murray Ladies bike
6984944.jpg

I have even used a few of the parts on this build.

9395160.jpg

I'm now on the lookout for cool old mens/boys bikes, but will not pass up a girls/womens bike for their parts alone.

As you say, they are better maintained.

I have a Hawthorne that looks a lot like the first one. I just stared at it for a few nights figuring which parts I could use on some of my other builds and ended up working on it. :lol: It,s hard, especially up here in Indiana to find good men's bikes. I can find quite a few diamond framer cruisers and mtb's but, older ballooner cantiliever and straight bars are rare. Guess that is true for everywhere though. Love your build. I haven't gotten photobucket yet so, can't post pics yet. I end up riding a lot of the ladies bikes I have just because they are fairly comfy and easy to step through and take off on. :lol:

Back