LaJolla aluminum frame 26" cruiser $99 at Walmart

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not really a "fresh find" but a great bargain on a decent looking chain store bike IMHO... 8)

Bought this online late TUE night and it arrived by FRI... shipping was only .97 cents and it was well packed (double boxed)

LaJolla_zps50877ce8.jpg

The welds aren't the prettiest, but it seems sturdy and it's a nice shiny black. Removed the chain guard, left off the front fender and will remove the rear fender. I'll also be peeling off all those decals.

Wheels are painted alloy... kind of a copper orange color. It has a euro bottom bracket - the crank arms appear to be chromed cast steel and the chainwheel is also steel... I'll be replacing those.

The seat, handle bars and stem are entry level quality and will be replaced. The seat tube height is about 18.5" from the center of the crank to the top of the alloy seat post clamp, so I guess that makes it about a medium size men's frame.

Been crazy busy at work so I haven't been able to gather the parts I'd like to replace... but here's what it looks like with no stickers, no reflectors, no chainguard and a different saddle

It rides nice and smooth - weighs about 29 pounds like this. Might be able to get it under 25 lbs with lighter tires, crankset, fork, stem and handlebars

IMAG0379_zpsf8981819.jpg

IMAG0380_zps898f0de7.jpg

I was able to make a few upgrades to the black LaJolla today... alloy cranks, chainwheel and pedals; lightweight aluminum motorcyle handlebars, BMX stem and alloy microadjust seatpost

Picked up a black alloy seatpost and BMX stem pretty cheap, so I swapped out the silver ones... looks better now, I think

I also noticed a bit of a rattling sound whenever I rode over bumps, so I removed the kickstand and the noise is gone 8)

I see me building one with flat bars and a 3 speed, nice find. and paint those rims black. :D

Thanks guys - it's actually a real nice rider now. I agree that black rims would look good on it

I did think about going with a longer reach mountain type stem and bars - I think that would work well, too

old_skool said:
Picked up a black alloy seatpost and BMX stem pretty cheap, so I swapped out the silver ones... looks better now, I think

I also noticed a bit of a rattling sound whenever I rode over bumps, so I removed the kickstand and the noise is gone 8)

**EDIT** Now THAT bike looks nice! Sexy little beast! Well done!

1beaglebaby said:
Looks really nice! How long is top bar from seatpost to headtube? Thanks

It's about 22 inches (or maybe it was closer to 21.5" - I can't recall exactly)

I measured it not too long ago thinking it appeared to be shorter than that... optical illusion I guess

I'm just under 5' 9" and there's plenty of room in the cockpit for me

Back