lake jumping bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi,

It is now a yearly event among a few of my friends, we gather for one weekend at LAC 3 saumons near quebec city for a weekend of fun, beer and jumping into the lake.

I find the small bmx that we were using a bit small for me so i decided to build a new specific lake jumping bike for this year event.

donor bike
jumpbike001.jpg

where I am at so far
jumpbike002.jpg

few sgots from the prious years.
3saumons.jpg

3saumons2.jpg

3saumonssoleil.jpg

That's so awesome, Back in my BMX (pre shattered ankle) days we used to go lake jumping nearly every weekend. Helped a lot to teach us new tricks, That's how I learned 360's and backflips however trying it on dirt was a lot scarier. How do you get the bike to float? Do you wrap the frame with tubes?

cody-james said:
That's so awesome, Back in my BMX (pre shattered ankle) days we used to go lake jumping nearly every weekend. Helped a lot to teach us new tricks, That's how I learned 360's and backflips however trying it on dirt was a lot scarier. How do you get the bike to float? Do you wrap the frame with tubes?

first i fill the frame with expandable foam(insulation stuff in cans)
then we put a life vest over the handlebars. even then water goes inside the frame and the bike tends to dive 2-3 feets so we used a plastic 4l bottle with a small roll of rope and hold it in our hand on the handlebar when we jump. that way the bottle float at the surface , you just swim back to the deck with the bottle and pull the cord to recover the bike..

I would like to improve that system a little bit and make the bike more flotable...well see what i come up with.

I once built a pool-jumping bike at the request of a friend who was having a party.
And by 'built' I mean 'dug out of the trash and inflated the tyres' :lol:

cody-james said:
How do you get the bike to float? Do you wrap the frame with tubes?

I duck tape or wire the biggest empty bottle of water I can find to the handle bar. :mrgreen:

Since my accident in may i was not able to work on the bike, i lately started wrenching again on bikes so here's where Iam at with the lake jumping bike,

Greased all the beraings with anti seize grease.

added some floating pool "noodles" to the frame and wrapped everything in tape and old tubes(not finished yet)

the party is in 3 weeks, i will not jump myself due to my injury but i want to have the bike ready for the friends.

IMG_1775.jpg

fill the tires with helium as well. then after you're done and probably pretty toasted, you can suck the air out and laugh at each other

HI all,
I'm happy to report that the bike floated really well,!

here are the pics of the event.

getting the material to build a new jump.
3saumons015.jpg

building the jump
IMG_4446.jpg

old jump (blue) vs the new one..
IMG_4448.jpg

finish results, the blue jump was also improve.
IMG_4679.jpg

lets have fun!
IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

and the only crash of the weekend...

Haha that was a dope little slam that chick took!Man I remember the days when we did that but it was into one of the channels down here in Long Beach.Unfortunatly I dont have any picks of us doing it!But very impressed that you got some hot chicks down there with you!!

That looks like a lot of fun! :mrgreen:

bikeriderx said:
Hahaha! That looks like a blast! Is your friend ok?

yeah she's ok
just a few scratches.. :D

Back