"Lakester" -Prewar Elgin Fixie!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
Micargi Fixie wheels, all steel. 16t rear + 65t front. got the prewar elgin frame from danimal (thanks!) Easy to start out but hard as nickels to stop. Wooden faux tank. Mostly in primer now but I plan to paint it brown and cream and rough it up to look like a good used ex racer. Wheelset is 700x23c.

Re: Prewar Elgin Fixie!

All you posted are pics so I'm just estimating at 700c x 25 with a 65 x 13 gearing making it turn 40mph @ 102 rpm. 27.5mph @ 70 rpm. :shock:

That would be a bugger to push that ratio, but entertaining for sure. especially downhill. :D

One up side is that you might be able to get around a corner without ever having the inside pedal in the down position.

I didn't see the measurments you posted last night. I recalculated it.

70 rpm = 22.2 mph
100 rpm = 31.7 mph

That isn't a whole lot higher than my commuter.

70 rpm = 20.2
100 rpm = 28.8

Your mph and rpm are exactly what I was shooting for, but it would cost me about $70 for a new chainring so it is staying as is at 48 x 13

Skipton said:
Lots of great ideas on this one. Love the bars, Are there any clearance issues with the tall wheels?
Also is that a Elgin tank? or did you make it?

Great stuff!

the tank is a solid piece of oak. no clearance issues with the wheels/frame becuase the frame was originally a 28x1 1/2" wheelset frame.

highwheelerboy25 said:
Skipton said:
Lots of great ideas on this one. Love the bars, Are there any clearance issues with the tall wheels?
Also is that a Elgin tank? or did you make it?

Great stuff!

the tank is a solid piece of oak. no clearance issues with the wheels/frame becuase the frame was originally a 28x1 1/2" wheelset frame.

Cool idea with the tank. looks great!...forgot it was a 28" frame
Keep up the good work!

Back