Larger front wheel on Giant Stiletto??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I run into toe overlap (pedals hitting front tire) if I put a larger front wheel on this bike? When these first came out I was thinking they were pretty cool, but the 20 inch front wheel was a huge fail in my book. The bottom line of the frame isn't level, which should have been a no go situation to begin with. It just looks like they didn't think it through, made the forks too short, then said WTH throw a 20 inch on it and no one will notice. I'd like to use a 24 inch stingray wheel, or maybe a 26 inch with a 1.5-2.0 tire.

Will the pedals have to be stopped in order to turn without crashing?

BTW, just found this at a pawn shop yesterday. WHAT? Yes, it was priced at $100, and they were having a 40% off sale on bikes, for ONE day only. I rolled this out the door for $64 and change....

12294920_1081177468561228_1327917323898223857_n.jpg

The lady said they priced it so low to begin with, since the rear tire was flat... I brought it home, pulled the piece of metal out of the tire, replaced the tube, and voila. I think I will just go around to pawn shops letting the air out of tires for a discount, haha! Nah, it was strange I thought though. They think a tire not staying inflated had such a huge impact on the overall value.

Best bet would be to measure the clearance from your toes to the current tire, if you have an easy 2" of clearance then a 24" will fit.

Just looking at the pics, I am not sure you will have room without adding extensions to the fork dropouts to move the wheel further forward.

Luke.

NICE!! It worked!! With the angle of my foot on the pedals, the tread just barely grazed the bottom of my toe. There was no side interference, only the bottom of the shoe. I used a QR mtb wheel just to try it. I can live with a little rub, if it means that 20 inch is gone! It looks TEN times better IMHO.

12314106_1081578085187833_5952087117982672586_n.jpg

I will probably use a 1.5 tire or maybe a 1.75. With the smaller size, and a smooth tread, it might not even rub at all.

There's one of these at a local shop that I don't usually go to. It's NOS I guess you could say, the guy who owns the shop is asking nearly $500 for it. So I'd say $64 is a check of a deal.

Back