Late 40s BF Goodrich?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After moving from the cruiser rich midwest to the barren western slope of Colorado, we were going through "bike run" withdrawl. I decided to post a want ad on Craig's List for an older cruiser at a "reasonable" price. I got a hit from a guy about 30 miles away, and we were off in a heartbeat. It is badged BFG, but has a pre war Schwinn style front fork with built in truss rod supports. The serial number is B33354. I would like some input as to the vintage and value of this fresh find.
7fd2e87ec8d44c2a9410ee25da9b1785.JPG

996aa9e4fe5d4d2c9935e2dea51edf19.JPG

89401c0f9987423189eb999e4733facd.JPG

He also had a 1960s ladies Murray Missile , which I also came home with. It's missing the fender mounted headlight, but is in otherwise pretty good shape.
a0b87344b0394cb7a9b025ed04e6ff24.JPG

The serial number is MOT 13....610607.

Nice finds. The BF looks late 40's to me too.

On another note did you use to live in southeast WI? If so I think I bought a red typhoon and a chrome lowrider off of you over the summer? Matt

The serial number is on the bottom bracket. After checking the serial number date codes at bunchobikes.com, the serial number would make this a 1952, but that would be if the number was on the left rear dropout. Since it is on the BB and we don't see any "B" serial numbers between '48-'52 our guess is that the bike is a '46-'47. :?:

MBblue6 said:
On another note did you use to live in southeast WI? If so I think I bought a red typhoon and a chrome lowrider off of you over the summer? Matt

I remember you. You were at our moving sale with your folks. You bought the Typhoon from my dad and the chrome cruiser from me. We have all since moved to Colorado(the land of many cruisers with very few for sale). Small world. :)

I'm looking at your kickstand and it appears to be tapered. This was a one year part, if it is of the tapered varety. The style of fork you have on that bike would have been introduced and used for the first time as well at that same time period. I'm fairly certain that what you have is an example of Schwinns first post war production bikes, obviously a contract build/model, but a 1946 chicago Schwinn none the less! Good find! :wink: A "Baby wing" chainguuard is what it would have come equipped with originally. The one on it now is a Wald replacement. This one may be truly worthy of a full restore, research/identification of existing parts would be where I would start if it were mine. This one would have got my blood pumping! Congrats! Later & PEACE!!!!! :mrgreen:

Nice finds! I love the goodrich...

My grandfather had a real sweet late 30's Goodrich as a kid. His dad sold it at a yard sale in the '70's for $10... and believe me, my granfather is a meticulous guy, so this thing was CLEAN :shock:

I'd really like to find an old black BFG someday, needless to say.

Slick Rick said:
A "Baby wing" chainguuard is what it would have come equipped with originally. The one on it now is a Wald replacement.

I've never seen a B6 with a wing chainguard from the factory. Those came on cheaper models. As the top of the line bike, all B6's had the large Deluxe Chainguard. It looks like you need a chainguard, a tank, and some work on your fenderlite. The braced truss fork you have is also correct for this model. When the B6 was discontinued in the early 50's, the braced truss fork also disappeared. Gary

Gary is 100% correct! I had thought a large wing chainguard to be too late for this one, apparantly not! Thanks for making me check myself dude! Later & PEACE!!! :wink:

Thanks for all the info! I'm pretty sure the bike was a maroon & creme color originally. The two or three pics of '50s BFG Schwinns I've seen have been that color, too. Did they only come in that color comination?

I'm not sure what Dad's plan is with this bike. It would be neat to restore it, but I don't know if he wants to put that much money and time into it.

blacksheep said:
Thanks for all the info! I'm pretty sure the bike was a maroon & creme color originally. The two or three pics of '50s BFG Schwinns I've seen have been that color, too. Did they only come in that color comination?

I'm not sure what Dad's plan is with this bike. It would be neat to restore it, but I don't know if he wants to put that much money and time into it.

the schwinns usually came in red/cream, blue/cream and green/cream in the 50s

they were sort of bright colors, but survivors often look maroon/cream, navy/cream, dark green/cream with age set in.

theres an ad on trfindley.com showing the color options for the different models, im pretty sure schwinn still painted them and just badged them for bfg. older 40's bikes may have been different colors than what im thinking about though.

edit* heres the link
its an ad from 55 but i know the colors held true back to the early 50s and maybe earlier too
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951 ... 55_28.html

Back