Late 80's Nishiki rebuild DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bar weighs a ton. I was thinking of finding one for my bike, but I'll stick with the alloy uprights even though they don't look anywhere near as good.

The painting went well, until the frame slipped off the post holding it and landed in the dirt. But it wasn't the real problem, the paint came out a caramel brown instead of Honda Yellow. So, maybe that candy style paint requires a white primer, I used gray. I'll get a couple more cans of paint, this time with an solid color cap on the cans. I hope to just use a fine sanding instead of primering the whole thing again.
honda yellow1.JPG

I thought that might be the problem. The finish is very good. Looks like powder coat caramel, but the owner needs yellow so it will get another layer of paint, only not candy. I'll give Bosny another chance.
1611702467728.png

I spent most of the day assembling it. I had to break for lunch and a nap, but that's SOP for me. The brakes were a hassle as I've never worked with cantilevers before but they are good and the derailleurs hooked up fairly easily. This bike will get handed down to someone's grandson who is almost tall enough to ride it now. I think it will see some riding by the original owner first. It's solid and smooth!

DSCI0034.JPG

fin1.JPG

fin3.JPG

I added up the cost of parts and paint. 3820 pesos!
receipts.JPG

That's more than $80 us dollars. I even put the old reflector back on to finish it up.
It goes home tomorrow.
complete.JPG

The owner was really happy with it and padded my bike account. He rides a high tech bike with his club, but this one gets used by his daughter now. It's already seen many miles on old country road since I redid it.
finished.JPG

Last edited:
If you don't mind the teeth marks you could use a 24" pipe wrench on the spoke flange. The flange just behind the freewheel would be best. You could also use a big bench vise to hold the flange. Freewheels are threaded on and tightened by your pedaling action. They are on tight but I've never had trouble getting them off. A 24" Crescent wrench is just right for turning the removal tool. Keep in mind the hardened steel of the pipe wrench or bench vise is going to mark you hub.Good luck.

Thanks.
The freewheel and wheel bearings have some play from many miles over the years, so I'm leaving it in the old parts box.

Check eBay for NOS Suntour, Shimano freewheels and other parts. ChiCom threaded freewheels are not great. I have a 1986 Nishiki Ariel that I really like, and a similar year Pueblo frame I'm "doing something" with.
Ha, had an Ariel around same year (all blue, even the bars IIRC) got it at Supergo in Santa Monica, old roommate ate the time had the Pueblo, yeloow/blue If memory serves.

Latest posts

Back