Latest build, the Dyna-Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this one at the request of a local guy, and friend of mine named Randy. I've known him since the early-90's when we worked together - me a punk kid fresh out of college, and Randy just returning to work after having a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit removed from behind his right ear. The doctors never expected Randy to live, let alone ever return to work, and as a maintenance man at a local factory it certainly wasn't easy work! But Randy continued to work, despite the fact he speaks with a slur and walks with a stagger, he still did his job, and took pride in working hard and doing the best job he could.

I lost touch with Randy for several years when I left the factory for a better job. The plant eventually closed, Randy went on to another factory for a few years, but he's in his 50's now and his doctors finally made him slow down a bit. He was able to take disability, but still likes doing odd-jobs and projects for people(even non-paying ones) just to keep busy. I ran into Randy again a couple years ago, and after buying our old building last year have had Randy do some work for me from time to time. He asked me over the summer if I could find him a trike to ride, the doctors said he needed to get more exercise, but his balance isn't the greatest for riding a bicycle. Around here, a used trike seems to start at around $200, which was well above Randy's budget, so I decided to build him one! Of course, things kind of snowballed(as they often do in these projects!)and I ended up with this as the result. I do have to extend a big thanks to my friends Joe(for the dynamite crate), Rick(for the steering links, inspiration & guidance), and Andy(for the chain guard and rear basket mount)!!!

I wanted to do my best for Randy, as that's exactly what he's always done for everyone he's worked for and/or helped, and we're both pretty happy with the results. I am going to rework the mount for the front basket into something more sturdy and level, but it was a nice fall day, and some pictures in the cemetery seemed appropriate for Halloween - unfortunately, when I loaded my camera up last night I must have bumped the "On" switch, because the battery was totally dead when I got there, so I guess cell-phone pics will have to do! :lol:

One of the main design elements was this old Dynamite crate for a rear basket.

65c9d2f9.jpg

0899f4db.jpg

The frame started as a 1980's Ross 10-speed. I cannibalized a couple other women's frames for the head-tubes and forks, then bent all the tubing to connect them together with a conduit bender.

5cb814f5.jpg

55e91873.jpg

Most of the remaining parts were just old leftovers(mine or others), as just the tires/tubes and chain are new.

cbb17d84.jpg

286ca922.jpg

1fb911f0.jpg

49391dd4.jpg

00d3de16.jpg

Wow, that's a great story and a great trike. I really like the pinstriping. Very tasteful. My gf has balance issues, so we're always working on a trike or two around here. I wish Randy the best.

What a wonderful thing you did for your old buddy. Bike is gonna look great.

Did you know if he was into rat rods when you did it?

Thanks!!! I don't think Randy had ever seen a rat-rod bike, but his son has a sweet chopped 50's International flatbed, and Randy has always been into cars.

Latest posts

Back