Lauson Motor Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow some serious craftsmanship going on here. :thumbsup:

Oh and what is TRM going to do with that door handle on his bike?...:39:...:p

Some how I've missed this build ... Dan you are the man . Get skills on the metal & wood fabrication .
That pulley is pretty slick . Some stain will give it a rusty look until a closer look. Wow it's wood [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to step out the frame in order to have clearance for the drive wheel and belt. It wasn't as difficult as making the brackets, but was still challenging. After a few measurements here, a few measurements there and some eyeballing the section of frame was marked for cutting. Another good suggestion by The Renaissance Man
was to tack two pieces of angle to the frame. This allowed me to know where to place the cut section of frame. Due to my lack of a TIG welder I had to gas weld the
step outs. It worked, but it's not as slick as TIG welding. Now I have to clean it up some and add some gussets for added support.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

IMG_2107 copy.jpg

Looks cool! Being able to weld really opens up the options for modifications. I like the wood wheel...of course, I've never been afraid of putting wood on bike builds...:nerd:

Hope to see some more on this beast soon!

furyus

I've been away for awhile now. I was out of town for a week and had little time to work on the build since I've been back. I added some gussets on the step-out
for added strength. Placement of the engine may be a little difficult to determine. This engine wasn't designed for bicycles so some modifications will have to be
made. The crank arms will have to be altered so they don't hit the engine and a jackshaft will be added because the output shaft will not line up with the drive wheel.
A lot to do in a short amount of time.
Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

I added some gussets on the step-out

A lot to do in a short amount of time.
View attachment 27432
Good idea adding gussets , add style too :thumbsup:
Iam sure you can make it in time , once every drive train issue are fixed you should be able to finish this up in a week or two :nod:

Love what you did with the frame. Any progress.?

Looking good. The gussets make it look better adds flow to the frame & of course strength ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I've run into some problems with the engine and pedal clearance. It can be done with the engine I have, but it isn't the look I want for this bicycle.
I'm in the process of obtaining a new engine, one that is more suited for the bike. I wish I could have finished on time. I will start a new thread when I get
a new engine. The Lauson I was going to use is for sale if anyone is interested.

Sad to hear that :oops: pedals was hitting the motor case?
well .. you did some great fab work on this ,hope you finish it to your liking and that we see it running soon:):thumbsup:

Unfortunately I've run into some problems with the engine and pedal clearance. It can be done with the engine I have, but it isn't the look I want for this bicycle.
I'm in the process of obtaining a new engine, one that is more suited for the bike. I wish I could have finished on time. I will start a new thread when I get
a new engine. The Lauson I was going to use is for sale if anyone is interested.
Pm sent

So sorry that you won't cross the BO Finish Line, but rather than start a new thread, you can get the mods to move your thread to the Build section. That way you keep all of your history in one place. Please be sure and keep us updated as you cross the real finish line down the road.

Back