Layback Post Idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need a layback seatpost for a bike I'm working on, and was perusing the net trying to find some home cooked ideas. One forum post I stumbled on suggested cutting up an old handlebar. The original poster said he had been doing it for decades, with no issues. Anyone here tried it with success? (Also, anyone have a junk set of bars they wouldn't mind hacking? :D)

My concern would be the thickness of the tubing and weight of the rider when using old handlebars or those bar end addons.

Member Slowriderz makes custom lay-back seat post here on the forum. Here is a link to his sale thread.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-layback-seatposts-temporary-shut-down.59700/

He is temporarily not taking orders for them a the moment but I'm sure once things get back to normal for him he will start again. He has sold them here for many years.

Last edited:
Yeah, I looked, and looked, and looked at Slowriderz posts on here forever but waited around too long. Now that I'm finally ready to finish this bike and get on the streets, he's not selling them.

This particular individual stated that the wall thickness of each pipe was (or nearly) identical. I can't speak to the validity of that statement, though.

I used a old gooseneck one that puts the bars a couple or three inches forward and welded it to the top of the seat post you got to cut the clamp off that clamps the bars and find a smaller pipe two put on the inside to keep it straight and stronger if you don't have a welder it shouldn't cost much to get it done once you find what you need

Maybe you can see how I did it here the smaller piece will go inside the post and the neck where you cut clamp off you will also need to cut the angle cut off straight where you tighten the wedge up.

I have not rode the bike a lot I'm still building it but what little I did ride it felt good and tough and I'm no lightweight I weigh 265-270

I need a layback seatpost for a bike I'm working on, and was perusing the net trying to find some home cooked ideas. One forum post I stumbled on suggested cutting up an old handlebar. The original poster said he had been doing it for decades, with no issues. Anyone here tried it with success? (Also, anyone have a junk set of bars they wouldn't mind hacking? :D)

If you got a slowriderz post, what size/angle would you want?

Back