Layback seatposts question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, I am glad to see that I am not the only 'clydesdale' on here (220, give or take). And I am also very happy to see that heavier men such as myself are not having any problems with the layback seatposts.

Now, is there a preference to 'curving' versus a straight up angle? Or is that just aesthetics? And how does one get a angled seatpost made? (I'm looking for pics for an example.) I basically have no tools, so I may have to go to a machine shop to get this done.

Honestly, I like the look of the sharp angle better. And it seems like you can do more with it, as opposed to bending.

Also, what is the limit for seatposts? I am looking to go way back, like over the seat? Any tests/failures/benchmarks to report?

Thanks in advance!

A member here, Walker, made me this seat post back in September. For the rest of September and pretty much all of October I rode this bike about 10 miles a day, no issues at all with the post. For some perspective I am 6' tall and about 250 lb, so no featherweight. Walker did a terrific job with this post, beyond my expectations! Here's a shot of it on the bike, you can see how far back I have it set. Also, here is the microsoft paint drawing of dimensions for the post I made up for him.

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

dscf51181-Copy2.jpg

I wanted a post that went straight back that would allow the seat to sit flat on it (took a little measuring and calculating) and was joined at a 'sharp' angle. I figured it would need a brace of some sort, and Walker welded in this gusset (guess what it is? :D This was all his idea!!). I've had no issues whatsoever with this design, I know part of it was the expret execution, but its absolutely phenominal to ride!

Latest posts

Back