Lead Paint Risk?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new to modding bikes and have been slowly gathering pieces/frames off Craigslist to build up. Since I'm just looking to make fun tricked-out bikes (that will probably have parts swapped around) I will be doing the painting myself. Before I start stripping frames, should I be concerned about lead paint having been used? I was planning on using sandpaper/brass wool rather than any chemical strippers so there will be dust created. Currently I have a Schwinn Breeze (1973), Schwinn Fair Lady (197_?), and a Sears road bike (197_?).

Thanks in advance!

While I am not sure about bikes I have sanded on several cars with paint of those year or before. I do not believe you have to worry about it, but if you still are, then try wet sanding. The water will keep the dust to a minimum, and easier to dispose of(your preference, either legitimately, or out in the yard/street). I would always wear a respirator or dust mask to reduce any risk to your self if you were concerned. Just my .02

always where N-95 or better mask when sanding paint!!

that said, i like chemical stripper as well to avoid questionable dust from another era. it not the nicest stuff, but I know that going in, so I can be careful!! :roll:

Back